Map for a friend

Ok this is a map I've made for a friends capmaign. I really wanted to try out the new annual from september again, cause I had some ideas I wanted to try out. This map is a combined effort made in both CC3 and Photoshop. I first made the map in CC3, all the mountains, forest, cities and roads. I left the sea in a single colour so I easily could select it in Photoshop later. In Photoshop I added the new sea and the rivers and applied some effects like oilpaint to make everything blend together. The sea monsters are from the July annual this year, that I made, but I decided to colour them so they fitted in better in the map.

Comments

• Awesome as usual :)
  • Excelent map! I loved every part of it.
  • KenGKenG Traveler
    Wow that is amazing. I really like the way you did the seas
  • Another Clercon-class map: wonderfull!
    Thanks for sharing.
  • ClerconClercon Betatester
    Thanks a lot for your comments. The reason I made the map was that I wanted to test what the style looked like with another textures on the sea. And I must say that I am very pleased with how it turned out
  • Fantastic work Clercon! Love the sea texture.
  • This is gorgeous. I really like the way the mountains, the trees and the rivers interact and are mixed together.
  • DogtagDogtag Traveler Moderator, Betatester
    edited September 2013
    I really like this map. Oddly, no matter how much I look at it, my eyes always move down toward the sea monsters (and ship). I really, really like how those symbols look colored and shaded — in particular, I think I like the subdued colors you chose. Absolutely wonderful.

I also like how this mapping style looks "up close," with larger symbols. It's very similar to the Herwin Wielink overland styles that way.

~Dogtag
    Thanks everyone for your feedback. I really like the style and will probably do more maps in it. I think it feels very medieval (in a fantasy way) when you add the sea monsters (and ships).
  • Which annual was this?
    JSM
    It is the September annual from this year. However I've changed the seas and added the sea monsters and boats from the July annual ( which I coloured in photoshop).
  • DogtagDogtag Traveler Moderator, Betatester
    edited September 2013
    With the fill and texture of the seas, in particular — enhanced by the "hatched" shading in the sea monsters — I feel the map has an almost wood-etched look to it. I just really like it and the subdued color palette. Your friend will love it!

~Dogtag
    Thanks Dogtag,you are too kind. And yes he was very pleased with the map.
  • On the ocean, did you draw all the squiggly lines by hand?
    Posted By: mosswood17On the ocean, did you draw all the squiggly lines by hand?
    Both yes and no, I made a seamless pattern in Photoshop by drawing the lines by hand and then applying the pattern in a layer.