[WIP] Community Atlas Competition - Artemisia - Spiros Isle - Aretizo village

This is the village I will be submitting for the competition - a population of 350. These are the map notes already written about it.

Aretizo (SW coast) – pop 350. A fishing village, especially around the Iamexos Reefs where a special fish, the garum, is used to make a delicious fishpaste, manufactured at the Monastery, and exported to the Irisian City States and beyond.

This is its location.

I really would like to keep Spiros island only for me to map, if that is OK.

Royal ScribeBwenGun

Comments

• This is the beginning, a general layout. I know Remy said about 20 buildings, but a population of 327 is still a very small village.

Royal ScribeBwenGunAleD
  • I have laid down a draft of the buildings - 66 in all, enough to support a population of over 300, I think. This is still all very much in the draft stage, so comments welcome. And the buildings will no doubt be changed into different styles depending on the nature of the building.

Royal ScribeBwenGunAleD
  • 6 days later
  • A bit more progress. Not sure about the woods.

Royal ScribeMonsenLoopysueRicko HascheJuanpi
  • Very nice! Which Annual are the ships from?

• Ahhh, thank you! I always forget to check there for symbols. I do have ships there.

• And the sail was a separate symbol also from CSUAC/Dundjinni

Royal Scribe
  • 13 days later
  • Some progress on the three main buildings in the village = Church, Inn and Store. No town hall, though - all such community gathering places have been forbidden by the monks of Holy Spiros.

LoopysueMonsenRicko HascheRoyal Scribe
  • Village to date.

The central square - completed

And a close up of the execution wheel. The criminal/victim is tied to the wheel which is then revolved by a team of 3 horses till the victim dies from centrifugal force. The favourite method of execution by the 'compassionate and merciful' Monks of Holy Spiros, who has this town in its deadly grip.

LoopysueRoyal ScribeMonsenGlitchRicko Hasche
  • 6 days later
  • The wharf area done, showing the main industry of the town - fishing, and fish processing. Fish paste - yum yum. 🤮

And cute thatched cottages with their gardens - the villagers are proud of their community, though they hate their oppressors.

Royal ScribeRicko HascheLoopysue
  • The witch's cottage in the south-west. I think I am a bit happier about the forest now.

Royal ScribeMonsenLoreleiLoopysue
  • The composition of symbols in the wheel with the horses is very creative. Amazing Master Quenten!

• Thanks Ricko - praise from you is much appreciated.

Ricko Hasche
  • 7 days later
  • Slow progress. Here is the village as a whole to date, and the west quarter - Grimy Street, with the heretic (who is on the execution wheel) house which has been burned to the ground by orders of the kind gentle merciful Monks of Holy Spiros. (so glad nothing like this happens here in real earth).

Royal ScribeMapjunkieLoopysueMonsen
  • I have made a lot of progress - the village itself is finished. I have the periphery to complete, and the write-up. And a few names.

LoopysueRoyal ScribeRicko HascheMonsenCalibre
  • The finished map - unless I make changes later on - haha. But comments and suggestions welcome. Map notes to follow.

Royal ScribeLoopysueShessarRicko Hasche
  • This is really lovely. My only ever-so-slight feedback is that my old eyes are finding it a little difficult to read the legend, so I would consider increasing the opacity of the background fill/color slightly.

Quenten
  • OK, good suggestion. I also forgot to name the streets.

• edited September 4

OK, here it is complete.

@Monsen Can you check the fcw to make sure all the fills and symbols comply with Atlas rules? Please.

A larger version is in the Gallery: Image Gallery: Hardin — ProFantasy Community Forum

LoopysueRoyal ScribeCalibreRicko Hasche
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 51 images Cartographer

Can you check the fcw to make sure all the fills and symbols comply with Atlas rules? Please.

That's pretty hard without the .fcw :)

LoopysueQuenten
  • Oops - here it is - I think I accidentally deleted it when i edited my comment.

@Monsen

• Here are the map notes.

Aretizo Village

This small fishing village, on the south-west coast of Spiros Isle, has a population of 429 souls. Its claim to fame is the annual haul of garum fish when they swarm near the Iamexos Reefs each spring for spawning. These fish are ground into a meal-like texture, and transported in barrels to the Monastery of Holy Spiros to the east, where they are allowed to ferment, spices added and then made into a continent-wide famous delicacy much favoured by chefs Artemisia-wide.

Originally the village, like all else on Spiros Isle, was ruled by rather easy-going Dwarf-lords. But with their overthrow and genocide by the fanatical monks of Holy Spiros, who had been expelled from their native country of the Leonder Imperium, the village has suffered under the direct supervision of the priest, Rev Father Ercole Farinas, installed in the new Church of Holy Spiros. He is a dour unfriendly man, supposed to be celibate, though several maidens have stated to their parents that he is far from that! He is a stickler for any hint of dissent – which he calls heresy – and has recently sentenced the son of the former (now deceased) mayor, to death by the Wheel. In addition, his house has been burned to the ground as warning to all that dissent from Monastery rule is not tolerated.

The victim/heretic/rebel was Georgios Kalimata. He had advocated ‘setting aside’ a certain amount of garum in the basement of the lighthouse to sell on the black market, thus raising funds to help the poor in the village and surrounding area. The taxation by the monastery has left most of the town destitute, but they still all (mostly – the grimy street residents are an exception) take pride in their gardens and houses. But the feeling of resentment is high, and only a spark may set off full blown rebellion. Already, one child, who threw rotten tomatoes st the priest, was whipped and put in the stocks for 3 days straight. He is still recovering at home. Luckily, none of the villagers caused him any damage, and some even gave him food and water under cover of darkness, to sustain the lad during his punishment.

The old Keep, where the dwarf-lord’s seneschal had resided, has been converted into a repository of all goods and money taxed (looted) from the villagers – a full 35% of all goods is the going tax rate, enforce by a goon squad of 2o brothers of the monastery who reside either in the Keep or in houses made vacant by eviction of the previous owners.

Royal Scribe

Can you check the fcw to make sure all the fills and symbols comply with Atlas rules?

Seems mostly fine. There are some dundjinni symbols that appear to incorrectly believe there is a VH version of the artwork. It doesn't seem to cause red X'es for me, but they are still erroneous and as such, I can't promise that they won't be a problem for everyone.

Missing:
     @Symbols\Dundjinni Archives\BL12_Dressing\Graveyard\Crypt_Large_JVG1_VH.PNG
     @Symbols\Dundjinni Archives\BL12_Dressing\Graveyard\LedgerStone_FB_VH.PNG
     @Symbols\Dundjinni Archives\BL12_Dressing\Graveyard\mausoleum3sm_FB_VH.PNG
     @Symbols\Dundjinni Archives\BL7_Furniture\Statues\Statue Generic-yellow_dan_VH.PNG

• Thanks, Remy. I will fix them today and resubmit the FCW (and straighten up the graves as well - lol)

• edited September 6

I think this is correct now - can you recheck? And I have updated the notes a bit. See below. Are the notes taken into account in the competition, or just the map?

Aretizo Village

This small fishing village, on the south-west coast of Spiros Isle, has a population of 429 souls. Its claim to fame is the annual haul of garum fish when they swarm near the Iamexos Reefs each spring for spawning. These fish are ground into a meal-like texture, and transported in barrels to the Monastery of Holy Spiros to the east, where they are allowed to ferment, spices added and then made into a continent-wide famous delicacy much favoured by chefs Artemisia-wide.

Originally the village, like all else on Spiros Isle, was ruled by rather easy-going Dwarf-lords. But with their overthrow and genocide by the fanatical monks of Holy Spiros, who had been expelled from their native country of the Leonder Imperium, the village has suffered under the direct supervision of the priest, Rev Father Ercole Farinas, installed in the new Church of Holy Spiros. He is a dour unfriendly man, supposed to be celibate, though several maidens have stated to their parents that he is far from that! He is a stickler for any hint of dissent – which he calls heresy – and has recently sentenced the son of the former (now deceased) mayor, to death by the Wheel. In addition, his house has been burned to the ground as warning to all that dissent from Monastery rule is not tolerated. The original Mayor’s House has been occupied by the commandant of the monastery armed forces in the Keep.

Death by the Wheel was adapted form a gruesome method of execution of the enemies of orcs in the homeland of the Monks of Holy Spiros. Here, the ‘criminal’ is spreadeagled onto the wheel which is revolved at speed by a team of horses, for at least an hour. If the criminal is not killed by the effects of centrifugal forces, he/she is then to rot and die slowly of thirst and exposure to the weather.

The victim/heretic/rebel was Georgios Kalimata. He had advocated ‘setting aside’ a certain amount of garum in the basement of the lighthouse to sell on the black market, thus raising funds to help the poor in the village and surrounding area. The taxation by the monastery has left most of the town destitute, but they still all (mostly – the grimy street residents are an exception) take pride in their gardens and houses. But the feeling of resentment is high, and only a spark may set off full blown rebellion. Already, one child, who threw rotten tomatoes at the priest, was whipped and put in the stocks for 3 days straight. He is still recovering at home. Luckily, none of the villagers caused him any damage, and some even gave him food and water under cover of darkness, to sustain the lad during his punishment.

The old Keep, where the dwarf-lord’s seneschal had resided, has been converted into a repository of all goods and money taxed (looted) from the villagers – a full 35% of all goods is the going tax rate, enforce by a goon squad of 20 brothers of the monastery who reside either in the Keep or in houses made vacant by eviction of the previous owners.

In the ‘haunted’ Magatman Woods, resides a healer, whose remedies are efficacious, more so than the feeble spells of the Monks. Madam Rita is valued by the villagers and has been protected from the Monks several times in the past. They have left her alone after the last attempt to arrest her, because of the major unrest it causes, giving even the callous monks pause.

At work now, I'll check later.

As for the notes, no. This is a mapping competition, so only the map itself will be part of the judging.

• Good. But the notes will still go in the Atlas, I guess.