Exporting Images for VTT's

So, my current challenge is to take a large dungeon map in CC3+ (Undermountain from the FRA) and break it up into lots of encounter or battle size images and then use them in a VTT (Fantasy Grounds). These resulting images need to have a precise scale, something like 5 or 10 pixels per foot (so that I can overlay the VTT's grid).

I've tried several techniques, but they are not friendly. Best methods so far:
1) Set bitmap options (Tools/Options) to a relatively high size, then zoom and pan for a specific view in the window and then do a Save As using a Rectangular Section PNG. Then I open in GIMP, measure the size of a known distance, do the math and re-scale/re-size the image to a precise scale
2) Zoom and pan so the view has the desired portion, then use Gadwin Print Screen to grab a rectangle of screen image for the desired section. Pan (no zooming) to the next area and make another screen grab, repeat. At least this then allows me to do the math to determine the re-scale factor just once in GIMP and use the same factor to re-scale all the images.

Both of these methods suffer from problems if I take too large of an area (usually acceptable) because then the dungeon doors and other "small" features get lost. I've found that at least on these maps, a scale of 5 pixels per foot is the min I can go, which is ok, except when using the screen grab method because that effectively limits the size of what I can grab (and I don't want to try and piece together two images into one map).

So, can anyone recommend a better method?

Also;
- Is there a way to set the zoom at a precise level? i.e. so that I can do a screen grab at a precise 5 pixels per foot or such and I would not have to re-scale in GIMP.
- Can I export the entire map at a precise scale image/bitmap so that I can then just chop it up in GIMP?

Comments

• WarEagleWarEagle Newcomer
    edited February 2016
    If you are exporting the same area over and over again, you could add a macro for this.

Then you could just typ in "MySlice" and CC3 would export the given rectangular selection (x1,y1 x2,y2 are the numbers below the WBSM).

Just Add this to your fcw32.mac

MACRO MySlice
    WBSM c:\tmp\01.png
    WBSM c:\tmp\02.png
    ENDM

Because you could map the coordinates to the scale of your map, you should be able to achive a good match.
    The png will be exported with the settings you did in the bitmap options, remember not to use "crop image to aspect ratio" because you want the real width.

I'm using this in my google maps export and it works really good, once you find the correct coordinates in your image.
  • Coordinates are not the same. I really only have to export a given location once, but there are a couple hundred locations that I have to export. And, I can't just print to a tiled output as the sizes vary and some sections overlap and other's do not.

Here's an example of one area I've exported (should give you a feel).