Working from FT3 to CC3: General Advice

I am pretty new to both CC3 and FT3. I have been working through different tutorials and reading forum threads and user manuals. There is still a lot where I do not quite understand the why or how, but I think I have a pretty good understanding of many of the basics. That said, I am looking for advice about general workflow between FT3 and CC3 and how the two relate. For example, things I should consider or plan for early on in world and map creation to account for things I want to do later with both. My intent is to create a world I can use with RPGs or writing or, perhaps, both.

From what I have read, it seems that the following high-level flow makes sense:
  • Create and sculpt initial world in FT3
  • Perform erosion and such in Wilbur
  • Perform further sculpting in FT3
  • Export continental maps from FT3 to CC3 for things such as identifying large geographic areas, showing broad regional boundaries, showing the locations of large-scale historical events (e.g., migrations, empires, etc.), etc.
  • Export views from FT3 to Wilbur for erosion, then to CC3 for regional and smaller maps
Is that reasonable or there steps I'm overlooking or a better way?

In addition to general advice, I also have some questions:
  1. Does it make sense to just export contours and climate from FT3 and then draw in detail using CC3 for the smaller scale maps?
  2. Are there particular things I need to keep in mind with regards to selecting export options in FT3?
  3. Why do my rivers disappear when I export to CC3? (I am sure this is just me missing something in the export, but it is rather annoying).
  4. Does the World Settings >> Editing setting in FT3 affect anything in CC3?
  5. Should I be trying to keep coastlines and such more ragged in FT3 or just handle that in CC3?
There is a lot more I could ask, but that is probably enough for now.

I seriously appreciate any advice anyone cares to share.

Comments

• Until recently, I only exported from FT3 and modified it in CC2/CC3, and later on CC3+.

I basically create a random world in FT3, export it as a CC3 file, and edit that in CC3+.

Or I save the png file from the FT3 world, and import it into CC3+ and use that as a guide.

My Crestar's Northern Hemisphere is an example. I created a world in FT3, saved the file as a png. Loaded up CC3+ with a template for a hemisphere size. Inserted the png and used it as a guide to draw that hemisphere.

I have done the same for various islands. Export the world as multiple files. Take one of those files that looks like what I want, import the file into CC3+ as an island, and trace it or use it as a guide making changes as I go. Mostly using the polygon tool.

As for my Traveller site, I just accumulate a number of FT3 worlds, name them, and then upload them to my Traveller site with appropriate links, etc.
  • As was suggested to me, which really helped me get to grips with the process, this Annual (https://www.profantasy.com/annual/2019/2019-cartographers-annual.html#November) has an article called the One Day Worldbuilder, which takes you through FT3, Wilbur, and CC3+. It's fully of excellent instruction and advice on the whole process, and has helped me unlock a greater understanding of the whole thing. I highly recommend it.