How to make cave floor height transitions smoother looking?

I am making a cave complex and I want the floor section to have different heights. Unfortunately it looks more like cliffs and I want the transition to be a little smoother then that but not sure the easiest way to do it is

attached is part of the complex.
-Sections labeled 0 are walls on the wall sheet
-Sections labeled 1 are the FLOOR Sheet and I use this as the base
-Sections labeled 2 is floor on a separate sheet 5' lower than section 1
-Sections labeled 3 is floor on a separate sheet 10' Higher than Section 1 and 5' higher than section 4
-Sections Labeled 4 is floor on a separate sheet 5' higher than section 1 and 5' lower than section 3

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Ummmm… I think your description is confusing me. I have no idea what's what here. To me it looks like all the flourish bits are on separate sheets in a stack going lower towards the bottom of the map.

I'm also not sure what effects you are using.

The first thing that occurs to me is that everything is relative. If you gave the walls a shadow that was 5 times bigger than it is, the steps in the floor would look relatively small in comparison.

The second thing that occurs to me is that you could get rid of that strange corner artefact in the walls by drawing the walls as a polygon rather than a line.

Does that help at all?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    A good way to depict elevation in a more subtle manner is to use edge fade and color changes instead of beveled edges. You can use the same fill, but use an effect, such as Adjust Hue/Saturation to change the color, and edge fade, inner to make them blend into each other.