Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2020

Now, I guess most people here in these forums use one of ProFantasy's map making products and make maps with them.

But I am curious, what do you all make your maps for? Role-playing games? Computer games? Books? Decorations? Maybe you use the tools, but what you produce isn't really a map? Please, chime in in this thread and let everyone know what you make maps for. And feel free to post examples.

(And if you haven't introduced yourself yet, we have a thread for that too.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2020 edited

Myself, I mostly make maps for my own Role-playing campaign. I've built my own world from scratch, and map it out as I need maps for new locations. Sometimes I make nice-looking maps if I have the time, and other times I just need a quick map. Generally, once the players have seen the map, I generally don't spend much more time polishing it, so it all depends on the available time till the next game session. Some of my maps are available in the campaign Wiki.

In addition to that, since I am responsible for the user manual and Tome, I also produce example maps for those, as well as maps to accomplish my articles at the blog.

I've also found CCx to be nice program for general illustrations, for example back when I took my Master's degree, I used for illustrations in my thesis. That's long ago now though, but the ability in CCx to specify node locastions by command line input makes it perfect for more technical illustrations. (It is a CAD program after all).

Of course, some maps are made just for the fun of it, such as participating in contests & challenges, and for the community atlas.
    • CommentAuthormike robel

I use CC# to produce maps for hex and counter board games. I have used it for Five games thus far:

Defense of Corona which is similar to the 1953 War of the Worlds Movie in which I researched the order of battle of units available in California as well as those that were portrayed in the film and determined the location for the battle from clues in the movie, as being around Corona, CA.
    Counter-Attack at Arras which is where the British 1st Tank Brigade struck Rommel's 7th Panzer Division behind his Panzer Spearhead and smacked his infantry. He panicked, thinking he was under attack by hundreds of British tanks, but in reality it was less than 50, which contributed to the German Halt Order, allowing the BEF to make its way to Dunkirk. The British were forced back to their start line by nightfall by the returning Panzers. Notable because Rommel's aide was killed less than 2 meters away from Rommel.
    3 Scenarios for the game Main Battle Tank
    Mind the Gap. B Troop 11th Armored Cavalry Regiments fight in the area around Rasdorf, Germany when I was a platoon leader. 1977-1980
    Plug the Gap. D Company counterattacks a Soviet penetration of the B Troop screen line around Rasdorf Germany. At the time I was a tank platoon leader in D Company and then was attached to B Troop. 1970-1980
    Ambush at Rannagun. My plan to destroy the 1st echelon of a Soviet Motorized Rifle Regiment near Rannagun, Germany (itself close to Schweinfurt) in 1984-1987

Four more are in work.
    Hammer's Slammers Mercenary Tank Company in the 23rd century, with David Drake's support. Probably set around the Little Big Horn or in the Aschaffenberg-Hammelberg Area of Germany.
    Covering Force. More known here from my trials and tribulations as recounted in Here I go Again.
    MBT Scenarios
    Sometimes just a hill based on training exercises at Fort Riley
    Unnamed battle based on a vignette in the Book First Clash, featuring units of the 4th Canadian Mechanized BattleGroup who were fine soldiers and a little bit crazy.
    • CommentAuthorFersus

I use it mainly for my RPG campaign as well. I am building my own world as well for my RPG game, and so I've got plenty of uses for all these programs. However I'm rather new in using CC3+ for good looking maps. So far I only made rather quick sketches of overland maps and Towns in the area my players are trying to fight the bad guys at the moment.
    My next mission is to make multiple generic Battle maps, about 2-3 for several types of environment (Woodland, Plains, River crossings, Taverns on the Road, Mountain passes...). I'm aware that there are plenty out there for D&D type games, but the vast majority of them are on a square grid. As I think that a hex grid is way better than squares for multiple reasons, I'm gonna make all my battle maps on hex-grids.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I make to make them. I started out making them for my game sessions. But I quit gaming in 1985. Tried play by post this century and it didn't go well.

Crestar has over a gigabyte of bandwidth use just this month. So my maps are being used.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2020

Drawing maps for me is just an extension of being a landscape painter. I like doing it, so that's what I do. Sometimes people like the maps I've drawn, so sometimes I share them.

I also enjoy making new assets just as much as new maps.

I like helping people, so put the two things together and you have you have a hopefully useful community assistant - at least on platforms where other more expert assistants don't go all that often ;)

Sometimes I just draw maps in response to reading a lot of comments about how doing 'this' or 'that' is really difficult, to show people that none of these things are impossible if you just think a bit differently. Since I have an atypical brain due to having Asperger's Syndrome, I am probably ideal for this particular part of my job.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

I'm a little like Jim. I make them because I love to. I also like submitting to the community atlas, and for my own world, which was originally meant for a book, but which I will now just turn into a massive Worldbuilding epic. (Cultures, politics, fauna and flora, history etc.
    Use my maps? I have to use them for something? I generally just get an idea about something I want to map then figure out how to do it. Sometimes it's inspired by something I saw or read here, sometimes it's a blog article or Cartographer's Annual or add-on I want to try out, sometimes it's a place I've been or seen or heard about (real or fictional) … it varies depending on my mood and level of boredom. The one common element is that I use CC3+ to do it. Mostly I just want to have fun!
    I do mostly for fun. But they are always for one of my RPGs settings or a comission for RPG material.
    • CommentAuthorTheschabi

I mostly use my maps for my own Campaings and one shot adventures. Either as handouts or als Battlemaps, depending on the adventure and group of players. Some maps I made of areas where I organised a larp to print out andactually have a map of the area for the players to use.
    • CommentAuthorroy.denton

Since I usually don't live close to other Harn specific players and teacher high school takes up a lot of my time. Even during this pandemic since my school is a virtual one and we haven't slowed down a bit, finals this week, student finish Friday, and teacher have two work weeks then I have a month off before summer school.

Any way, I do it mostly for the fun of it and all of it is specific to the world of Harn, for now.
    Some of the maps I make are for my RPG games. I also enjoy reproducing maps from the books I read, or from modules (like the Village of Hommlet).

Many of them are actually for RPG campaigns that friends run. I really like taking their descriptions and hand drawn maps and turning out something that helps the other players in the game immerse themselves in the world.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I noticed years ago my reltives had no hobbies, or their hobby was just one thing. So if their lives changed, they had no hobbies.

So I have a number of hobbies and always have something to do, indoors or outdoors.

Been trying to find the time to learn more about Epic Table, and resize some of my maps to work with it better.
    • CommentAuthorthehawk
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2020 edited

The only thing I've successfully done with CC is mapping the old grid-based CRPGs - ADnD gold box, Wizardry, Bards Tale, Might and Magic, digitizing the numerous paper ones I've moved from place to place for.. A lot of years. I am still slowly making my through those.

If it's not strictly square grid-based, I'm still pretty hopeless. One of these days I may make it a priority to actually learn to do other things with it.

In the interim though, most non-square grid CRPGs, I do screenshots and line everything up pixel-by-pixel to make the maps.

All of that stuff is, like the others have said, doing it just to do it, and to share for anyone who might be interested.

I've dabbled a little bit with The Continent and some Cities (I am pretty bad at naming things) for the stories I've cobbled together, and I look a lot at what other people do to see what it's capable of. I like to think I will eventually be able to map some of these places out. At least enough to be able to hire someone to finish and polish it.

I use Visio for most of what I do; that I call maps, but probably not everyone does. I learned Visio digitizing old Infocom maps, and since then do all the usual stuff - network, process, transaction flow, hardware detail, infrastructure, the odd building or office space, electrical wiring and some plumbing.

And as Jim said, I too balance this hobby with others - the other one right now being to finish cleaning the garage..
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Clearing the garage sounds more like a chore than a hobby ;)
    I use the various tools to map my ttrpg campaigns, still getting the hang of things. Currently I'm working through making a global map for my campaign setting that I'm writing on World Anvil. That site has a great interactive map feature, so I intend to upload my maps as I finish them, and use those features to enhance it with links to articles and to hide/show points of interest.

Recently, I've also been using it to work out a floorplan for an underground dome house that my wife and I are planning on having built in a few years. We were talking about how it would be laid out and I said, "Wait, I got this!" ;-)