[WIP] Entry for Loreleis Competition

I'm going to submit a battle map. It'll be kinda generic and features a hideout of bandits or whatnot in a cave in the woodlands. Woods near mountains are plenty on the map, so I'm sure it can come in handy.

The Idea is to create to create the outside first, but the top half of the map (the elevated part) is on an extra layer. That way one can start the battle on the outside and once one of the two entries was found the cave can be revealed.

Here's what I got so far:
[Image_14727]

It works pretty well, but I've got troubles where the two layers meet:
[Image_14728]

(Here with the second Layer deactivated)
[Image_14729]

Any ideas on what I can try to make the two layers blend into each other better?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    One trick that might work is to have them on the same sheet, but different layers. Since edge effects aren't applied per entity, but on the combined entity, then they will seamlessly merge when both layers are visible, but when you hide the layer, the effects will now apply only to the visible entities.
  • Coming along nicely! Might i suggest putting a thin outline on those trees and perhaps a shadow? Also, for the water fill, if you increase the Fill Scale it will rid you of that repeating pattern :)
  • Thanks for all the advice! I'll try them out this Weekend and come back with more pictures of my progress :)
  • edited May 2020
    As promised here is an update on my progress:
    [Image_14760]

It's looking way better already thanks to your great advice!

However I do have some troubles with the shadow effects:

1) the Shadow that's been cast by the wall makes it look more as if it's a cloud casting that shadow instead of a steep hill
    [Image_14761]

2) The Tree trunks (the round table symbols out in the open) do cast a nice long shadow, to indicate that that is something big, but one can see the end of those shadows and they are lacking a shadow representing the upper part of the trees.

and finally I did already a lot for the hideout itself:
    [Image_14762]

Here I'm not quite happy on how the ramp along the water is looking. While the upper part looks fine-ish, the bottom part, where it should merge with the ground floor does not do much of the antizipated merging :/
    [Image_14763]

As always I'd be really grateful for any advice you can give me :)
  • Looking great!!! What you could do is turn of the wall shadow and instead try an glow (outer) on the walls
  • edited May 2020
    As always your advice was golden! Have a look at the impact they had :)
    [Image_14771]
    I added a Shadow layer for the treetops, then I changed the background bitmap as the old one got too dark with all the shadows looming around.
    Some more debris was added, especially along the creek to guide it's path and along the cliff for some rubble that has fallen down.

In addition, the walls are now stone-clouds no more:
    [Image_14772]

In the hideout I could improve the vanishing of the path to the upper floor quite a lot.
    [Image_14773]

And as a last treat I show you the overview of the hideout itself:
    [Image_14774]

I'm pretty happy with the project now, but I'm always open for more suggestions :)
  • so i showed the map to a friend of mine, and the first thing he sad was: why are there all these tables in the forest?

And yes: he is right: I did not find any propper tree trunk symbols, so I used round tables as a substitue.

Does anyone know of a CC3+ add on that has tree trunks in it that would fit this map? Or if there isn't one, how to improvise said trunks?
  • Draw with polygon with a solid outer area. Then add some smaller/several rings.

Either a bitmap fill, or different shades of brown.
  • i knew EXACTLY what you were trying to convey. It's perfect for the constraints of the symbol set if you've not the inclination to try drawing one. But if someone were to try something by hand, I would start with a base of a small bevel and draw the center trunk and some roots, the add a layer with a larger bevel a different shade of brown with a flat surface. From there i'd do what jim suggests, adding circles on top of each other smaller the the next in shades slightly lighter with a glow outline on each.
  • ok, I toyed around with different setting and Sheetseffects and textures and reread some of the posts of some projects you wonderful peaple did already, and I think I found a way to do more natural looking trees with relatively small effort. How do you like them?
  • seycyrusseycyrus Traveler
    Those look a zillion times better than they did originally.
    This is why I think WIP threads are so nice. They help people visualize how you got to the end result, including false starts, things that worked somewhat, and then what the experimentation lead to. Much more satisfying than just seeing a finished map, no matter how great.
    And it also helps others. A finished great looking map may be unapproachable for many, but when it gets broken a bit more into steps and pieces, it gets much easier to approach the process.

Those tree trunks look great.
  • Thanks a lot for your kind words.
    I'm sure anyone of you could have done it in a fraction of the time, as it's just two polygons on top of each other and placed on two different sheets to apply different sheet effects.
    But I'm happy, that I found a somewhat manageable way to draw some tree stumps.

The question that arises now of course is: can we make our life somehow even easier. I mean: drawing a Tree stump like polygon, hit redraw to see where the bevel effect ends, changing the sheet and then drawing the brighter part over the darker part of the tree is doable, but not as convenient as just clicking on a symbol with the "r" tag and placing a random predefined object with every click.

I'm totally fine with drawing about, I don't know, maybe 10 tree trunks by hand for this map, but if I ever want to do something like that again, it'd be great to be able to import the sheets with the respective effects and to place the the fitting polygons with as little effort as placing a "single tree object".

Is it possible to define two polygons on two different sheets as one object?
    Posted By: FersusIs it possible to define two polygons on two different sheets as one object?
    You can create multi-sheet symbols.
  • edited May 2020
    Thanks for the Info! I tried to follow the instructions in your blogpost, but when i clicked on the "symbols in Map" icon after opening your example file, CC3+ crashes oO
    I'll try to follow your steps with a vanilla empty Dungeon file...

Edit: Ok, here is what I got so far: I draw a few trees, each composed of two polygons on two different sheets (dark part and light part). I set the line style of each polygon to the line stile with the same name as the corresponding layer. I choose "define symbol", mark the two polygons, choose "do it". Then I go to the symbol manager, choose the tree symbol, go to options, set "symbol is part of a collection", they differ by the number in the end (tree_ms_01, tree_ms_02...), I tick randomly select from selection and arrow keys select different symbols, as well as some random transformations and finally, the important part: I tick "Convert Line Style names to Sheet"
    And hooray: I do get a collection of tree objects, that will be randomised when placed while also being placed on the correct sheets.

so far so good, but wat I also get is the parts of the trees as Symbols (e.g. tree_ms_0306 and tree_ms_03_07). What's even worse: when I place my trees, at some point it randomly chooses one of those tree parts as symbol. That part does not have "part of random collection" active, as it seems, because as soon, as I got one of the parts, I keep getting it.
    What am I doing wrong?
    The individual parts as symbols is explained in my article. That's just how multi-sheet symbols work.

I am guessing the issue happens because you are creating a numbered collection. Since these partial symbols also differ from the original by a number, I am betting they confuse the collection. I haven't tried this, but I am guessing if you make a collection "numbered" by letters instead, you shouldn't encounter that particular problem.

As for the crashing, are you running the latest version of CC3+? I did a test right now, and it does indeed crash in 3.93, but one I ran the latest update, it stopped crashing.
  • Ok, I've got to reread your post then, must have missed that point.

As for the crashes: I can load it as a symbol catalogue, but not as fcw. I do run 3.94.