Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    Hi

After the oriental castle I turn my mind to a european medieval castle-like.
    I got a lot inspired by real castles near my home (lucky me). The design is this time however entirely mine.

I'm not quite satisfied but am at a loss... Any idea? Thanks!

Edit : pic no more clickable, see below.
    • CommentAuthorjaerdaph
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2009

Once again, amazing!
    • CommentAuthorGreebo
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2009

Amazing, indeed!
    • CommentAuthorGandwarf

Yep, very cool! Although this version is a bit small and as such it's hard to see any of the details.
    Thank you!

I've modified some scales and split the jpg in the four parts :

• CommentAuthorGandwarf

Ah, a lot better. Really well done. I like the layout and the flair (the ornamental stuff to the left has a great Medieval feel).
    The handwriting is a bit difficult to read I think... it's like it was done with a really shaky hand :-)
    Posted By: Gandwarfthe ornamental stuff to the left has a great Medieval feel

It has a CC3 story too...
    I first drew the design on graph paper, using medieval models found on the net.
    I scanned my sketch and imported the file in CC3 where I retraced it with splines.
    The resulting outline was then exported as a PNG and worked with PhotoFiltre and Gimp.
    At last the png was converted in a symbol.

Posted By: GandwarfThe handwriting is a bit difficult to read I think

Do you? I thought it enhances the medieval touch. Do you think it would be better with some gothic like font?
    • CommentAuthorGandwarf

Yeah, the shaky effect messes with my eyes. I wouldn't change it unless more people complain about it though. Maybe it's just me!
    • CommentAuthormerlinus12
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2009

I think the text looks great as-is. It has a little bit of "shake" to it, but it adds to realism (in college I did peliographical work on some classical greek texts - no one has perfect handwriting with a quill)
    Hi all!

I'm (over)proud to announce that I've finished a long to birth project : A Guide to Castle Riche-Guêt.
    I hope you'll find it useful and am eager to get feedback because it's a first draft.
    I hade to separate in two files because of the 1000 kb restriction and sincerely hope I don't abuse. There's a nicer one that weights 57 Mb though...
    Enjoy!
    • CommentAuthorskaryn
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2009

Thats pretty slick Joachim!
    • CommentAuthorjaerdaph

Very cool! Thanks for sharing these, Joachim!
    •  
      CommentAuthorkolyana

I particularly like the side-view; how long did that take and what was your approach? Did you trace over a drawing?
    • CommentAuthorGandwarf

Wow, that must have taken ages to create. Very nice!
    Thanks all!

@Kolyana
    Posted By: kolyanaI particularly like the side-view; how long did that take and what was your approach? Did you trace over a drawing?

It took long but I don't remember how long. It was done using technical drawing technics: construction lines, construction lines and more construction lines. They still lurk on a hidden sheet.

@Gandwarf
    Posted By: Gandwarfthat must have taken ages to create

What took time was the initial drawing on the head of the topic and converting it to POV-RAY. That took even more time because going 3D I noticed inconstencies that had to be corrected first. On my next project, I'll try to work in parallel.
    Putting all in a text file took less than two days...

Did by the way someone find flaws in the text/maps ? Does anybody know if there's an english for *fenêtres à coussiège*
    • CommentAuthorHenrie61
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2009

Very Impressive.
    • CommentAuthorGandwarf

As for flaws in the text:
    The last page in the PDF contains the word "monster" but should be "monsters" I think.
    Thanks Gandwarf. I proofread the thing but it's never as good as done by someone else... Especially when English's not your native langage :)
    • CommentAuthorGandwarf

It's the only error I caught. There might be more, didn't really look for them (but I read most of the text, so I am sure most of it is correct).
    I'll wait a bit to see if more nice readers can take the time to check then post the corrected files.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2009 edited

pdf hosted here zipped as 2.2 megs, unzips into about 2.3 megs.
    All my thanks, JimP, but the link doesn't work...
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2009

Works now. Fixed the link.
    • CommentAuthorBidmaron
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2009

It may have been intentional, but enemy is misspelled ennemy on the inset map of page 7. This is really great work, Joachim. I bow to your mastery. The inside view with the light coming through the windows -- magnificent.
    Posted By: Bidmaronbut enemy is misspelled ennemy

Ooops, sorry. It's my french touch. You see, the french for enemy is "ennemi" and it was a text added in CC3 so no spell checker...
    Thanks for the comment and I'd said I'm rather proud of the view you describe.