Setting the layer of the walls in the add room tool

Is it possible when using the Add Room tool to have the room walls be drawn on another layer other then the Walls layer?

Jason

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    No, this option is fixed. You'll have to use change properties to move them after drawing.
  • blueFireblueFire Newcomer
    Thanks. It would be great if this option was added.

Jason
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    It has occurred to my slow brain in the hour since I first read this thread that you could make your own drawing tool to draw a room, in which you could then specify the layer yourself. The drawback, though, is that you would have to keep editing it if you wanted to change both the wall and the floor fills between rooms.
    If I made my own drawing tool would it work like a room and corridors combination (where holes would automatically be cut into walls where corridors connect)?
    I don't know. Remy (Monsen) would know. I think perhaps not because you would be using different layers for things if I am reading correctly between the lines here. In fact, I'm not even sure if everything else would work properly if the Walls were not on the Walls layer.

Whether it does or does not, there are many more disadvantages than advantages because you would need a different drawing tool for every combination of wall and floor texture you wanted to use. In fact, the only advantage would be that you could dictate which layer each part ended up on automatically. It depends just how determined you are that you really want the walls drawn on a different layer, and how much trouble this would cause compared to just letting the walls be on the WALLS layer until you've finished the drawing and put them on a different layer.

Just out of curiosity, we are talking about the WALLS layer, aren't we? Or do you mean the WALLS sheet? I'm a bit confused as to why you would want them on a different layer.
    I am talking about the walls layer not the walls sheet.

Basically I am trying to create a map with color and black and white versions embedded into the same map. I create a black and white layer and draw everything that should only appear in black and white on the black and white layer. Then I draw everything that should appear in color on a color layer over their black and white counterparts. Then when I hide all layers other then the black and white one I have a black and white version of the map and when I only hide the black and white layer I have a color version of the same map.
    edited May 2020
    Ok.

have you considered using an RGB Matrix Process on the whole map like this?

I know its greyscale rather than black and white, but it might save a bit of time for you if greyscale is acceptable.

[Image_14674]

Then you switch between the two versions by checking and unchecking the effect.

[Image_14675]
    The RGB Matrix Process done a very good job. Thank you very much.
    Loopysue, How did you add those snow capped mountains with the surrounding snow at the bottom of your uploaded map?
    They're not published yet.

I'm working on the July issue of the 2020 Cartographer's Annual. That's where they will be when I've finished the rest of the set :)