Self made symbols and hatches

Greetings fellow cartographers! I have been using Dungeon Designer quite a bit lately (alas, no more than 10-15 hours total) and I wanted to make my own symbols and hatches.

PART 1 - Problem
Using Inked Dungeons Annual 2020 as my template I have made a dungeon/cave and I wanted to differentiate two areas with different kind of walls. Say, a newer and older kind of dungeon, anyhow... I made a piece of wall in illustrator, saved it as an DXF, then made a copy of a "Wall Outline" FCW-file from the hatches folder - inserted my DXF and scaled it to the same area as the existing box. Back to my dungeon file > select drawing tool > "advanced" > made a copy of "Wall, outline brick", then changed outline, properties and choose my newly made file with the different kind of bricks I've made in illstrator.

Alas, when I use my new brick I can't get the pattern to stick to my polygons and I'm really scratching my head as to why.

Attached are some pictures of my process. I have a vague feeling that it's probably "something easy" that I've missed but if not then tell me and I'll provide more information.

PART 2 - Question
I havn't yet tried adding my own symbols, mostly because I havn't quite figured out how to do it. I have tried opening a symbol file in Dungeon Designer but it seems to open up the whole library and I can't seem to edit or add anything there. I would like to add my own symbols in both dungeon designer (which I understand is vector?) AND some self made furniture in Perspectives 3 (which I guess is bitmap?)

Many thanks in advance for both part 1 and 2. Attached images are only related to part 1.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Not quite sure. Could you post the .fcw file for your hatch style so I can have a look at it?

When you have loaded a symbol catalog for editing, you can manage the symbols in it via Symbols -> Symbol Manager. Note that it is recommend that you make your own symbol catalogs, and don't edit/add to the default ones, as these may be overwritten by a patch, or if you mess them up, you'll have to reinstall to get them back (which would also wipe out all other changes)
    Note that vector and bitmap isn't associated with add-ons like you seem to list, you can have both vector and raster symbols in both Dungeon Designer and Perspectives, which kind of symbols really depends on the actual style you are using.
    See attached file

I see, much obliged.
    edited May 2020
    The problem with your hatching is the use of multipolies. Multipolies are complex entities build from individual entities, and cannot simply be trimmed the way plain polygons can. You also had doubled up with entities in your drawing, each "line" in your hatching was made up from both a multipoly mad from a series of lines, and a proper polyfgon. I simply deleted the multipolies and then changed the fill style of the polygons to solid, and the file works fine.
  • Ah, I see. Many thanks, once again! :)
  • Although, one follow up; When the double entities on top of each other and (seemingly?) in the same layer and sheet, how do I select only the multipolies?
    I just did a selection by entity type and picked 2D Multipoly, that was the quickest in that scenario. Other ways includes using List ont he entities first, finding the tag numbers, and select by entity tag.

You'll find more about this in the Editing chapter in the CC3+ user manual, and in this article.
  • Thanks again, will read up some more in this area