Good style for large continent?

I want to make a large scale continental map (5,000 miles by 4,000 miles or thereabouts) that was first generated out of FT3. It seems many of the overland styles are better in the 1000 x 800 scale or smaller - are there any overland styles or Annual styles that you believe work very well at the continental scale?

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited May 2020
    Any of the overland styles will do maps like that. The default symbol scale is adjusted as a fraction of map width (as I understand it) when the map is first generated, so that they look right for the size of the map.

Here is Dorina - a map of a continent of about that size done in the Mike Schley overland style. Here it is reduced to just 33% of the original image size to comply with forum rules.

[Image_14611]

The only thing I would say about choosing a style for a very large map is that it is better to choose a big style - one with plenty of textures and symbols - like the Mike Schley overland style.
  • I love the technique of having the other continents unadorned. It really makes the hero continent pop.
  • LichHouseLichHouse Newcomer
    Dorina is a beautiful map. I haven't worked with that Mike Schley overland, I hope those trees weren't all by hand! Labor of love.

Here's the continent I worked on (using Jon Roberts overland) seemed to work okay. Not sure how to add "navigation lines" but otherwise this is getting there.
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    That´s a very personal issue. Do you want the map look like an ancient, parchment map, or like a fantasy videogame map? Black or white, or coloured?

I have some favourites ofc but the basic Schey style is wonderful with lots of symbols to add.