Question for loopysue-Sue Daniel

Hello All

I am new to the forum, and some what new to the software, I have had it since Oct 2019. I have been mapping and as I figure out all the different effects my maps keep getting better and better-practice makes perfect right???!!! My question for Sue is I have seen your map, Orde-On-The-Rock, and was wondering if you could provide some insite as to how you created that map using the software. I don't need a complete 100% walk through, just some tips to get me started in the right direction. The world I am creating for an upcoming campaign will be similar as it will be set on top of a rocky cliff, though the surrounding terrain will be much different.

Not just limited to Sue, but if anyone else created something similar I would be interested to see it and know how you created it

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Hi Dond :)

Yours is not the only thread requesting information about this particular map.

I am a little busy right now to do a run through of things, but I will look and see what I can do in the next couple of weeks. The FCW file, unfortunately, is apparently too large to attach here (I tried).

This is not the only way to do cliffs. I developed my own based on the one originally developed by Hans Anders Bergström in the September issue of last year's Cartographer's Annual.

There are also the famous cliff and relief tutorials by Shessar here: http://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=5869&page=1#Item_0
  • I can testify to Shessar's tutorials. I have been using her methods for hills, valleys and the like for some time now. They are easy to use and create some startling effects in profantasy when used correctly.
  • donddond Newcomer
    Thank you of posting the link to Shessar’s tutorials. That helps a bunch

Sue just by looking at your map, it looks like, more or less, you drew a circle in a circle in a circle (lol) then used shading to get the illusion of cliffs. Not sure if I am on the right track or not........
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    It's a little more complicated than that, since I added sheets and effects to simulate ambient light falloff down the cliff.

I will ask if PF will accept a short blog and allow space for the FCW to be made available for download.