Creating a Players Map with unseen portions

I want to create a wilderness map that only shows the portions of the map where the players have visited. In the older version of CC2, I created a layer with a shape that blocked everything but what was in the window, and I would hide that layer when printing the GM's map. I don't remember how I created the Players "Fog" Layer. Can someone give me ideas?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Since you need it to cover up things, I would probably just make a sheet instead of a layer for this purpose. Just visit Sheets and Effects image, add the sheet, and place it near the bottom of the list, just above the MAP BORDER and SCREEN sheets if you have them.
    This sheet can be hidden just as a layer, and you can add things like edge fade effects to it to give your fog of war a more foggy feeling.
  • okay i created the layer/sheet and put it low on the list (High). but how do i create the window. What tool do i use to draw the window? I tried land and sea tools
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    I would just use the basic tools, like Smooth Poly image

One approach here is to create one shape that fills the entire map, then another shape that covers the area the players have explored, and then combine the two shapes using MultiPoly image, that way you get a shape with a hole in it, which sounds like what you want.
    Or you can just use multiple shapes to cover up the hidden parts.

Remember to pick a fill style and color before you draw, I recommend a solid color fill for this.
  • Sorry I am being so needy, but I've read the manual and completed the tutorial through about page 70. Things have changed a lot. Skimming the rest of the manual doesn't appear to show what i am trying to do.
  • What you have shown me gets me going in the right direction thanks. Im on my way. I leave the undiscovered map white, so the users can fill it in.
  • Sheets are drawn from the top of the list you see in the sheets popup. To the bottom of the list.

Background is drawn

Then floors then walls.

So your covering is after that, from your post it sounds like you are putting the sheet in the list before the floor, walls, an symbols.

You want the cover after those, towards the bottom of the list.

Typed using my cell phone.