Newbie Mapper requires hex map help

Hi All,
I would like to know how to make a hex map 30 hex across and 21 down with the numbering system 0101 in the top left and 2130 in the bottom right.
I have searched the forums for hours and i came across a post that stated it took them ages to figure out how to do it, but alas they never described how they did it.
Very much appreciate any help so I can concentrate on populating the maps while i am in isolation using this fantastic program I stumbled across.

Comments

• Take a look on my file. Here is an A4
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    It depends a bit on the size of your map, but let's assume a 1000x800 miles map (which incidentally is perfect for your 30:21 hex ratio).

1. Go to Draw > Square or Hex Overlay
    2. Set a horizontal hex grid, grid spacing 38 (800/21, as for a horizontal grid, the grid spacing is the vertical distance between hex centers), labels 1 for the x axis and 0 for y axis.
    3. Click Apply.

Note that CC3+ always numbers the x-axis first, so your final hex grid will be 3021 and not 2130. In fact that final hex will be a half-hex and not labeled as such.
  • edited May 2020
    I never worry about the starting hex number, but I think you do it by clicking the Hex Grid button, which is the fourth button down on the left side, looks a little like a tic-tac-toe board.

In the X and Y Hex numbers, input 01 in each one.

The way to get the appropriate number of hexes is a little difficult.

Decide which way you want the hex rows to go, horizontally or vertically. I almost never get it right the first time, so I just start with one, decide if I like it. If not, I undo and choose the other selection.

You need to determine the size of the hex you want. This is a little tricky because CC3 bases its dimensions on units of distance, its either metric or standard (depending on the template you choose). You are supposed to input the real world distance your map is going to cover. So, for the sake of argument, lets say your map is 20 miles by 30 miles. Then, when you choose the hex size, you would input 1, and you should get the number of hexes you want. Hex 0101 should be at top left, but may not be totally on the map.

I do a lot of scale maps by scanning them and then manipulating them to a desired size. For instance, I use USGS.com to get maps at 1:24000 scale. These have a 1km hex grid on them. If I am just using them at that scale, I input the dimensions of the map in miles or km (I was in the army, so I am used to km). Let's say it is 20 x 20 km. I get that into CC3, and I know I want to have the hex be 1/2 a hex or 500m from side to side. In this case you might start with a hex size of 0.5 and see how it works. I compare the hex size to a grid square and adjust so there are two hexes to a grid square.

You can look at my thread "Here I go Again" to see how I approach mapping. I'm not the best mapper here, but I do believe in using Brute Force and Ignorence for solving many of my mapping probelms, although people here are very helpful.
  • Tried Ralf's suggestion but i keep getting a box too small message.
  • started from scratch and managed to get the overlay but it seems to go outside the frame on the right hand side.
  • Without changing the existing hex grid, you can just add another white border outline to the map to cover up the grid overage.
  • Thanks Chr9s,
    The last column is required but when i shrink the hex sizes I end up with 22 hex down and i only require 30 across and 21 down.
    I was hoping I could stipulate the hex numbers x and y and it would automatically populate inside the borders.
    It is going to be a steep learning curve just to get the correct numbers of hexes (which are the required numbers for use in a particular old school pbem game i play)
    I appreciate all the help and suggestions I have received.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited May 2020
    Are you using the exact values Ralf gave you? Making a new map 1000x800 with a horizontal hex grid size 38 gives me exactly the grid you asked for, 30 columns by 21 rows.

Looking at your image, it looks like yours is correct too? You have that extra column at the end, but that can be covered up, or you can just unlock groups, and quickly delete those lines at the end). You say it is required, but when I look at your image, the last column inside your border is column 30, and you have 21 rows, that extra columns sticking out is column 31, so you shouldn't need that.

When placing the grid, did you just click Apply in the grid dialog, or did you use the 'Select Points' button? The Apply button should automatically ensure the grid is correctly placed inside the borders without having to set the position/size manually.