Something Different From What I usually do

And now for something markedly different. I am a big fan of American Coastal Fortifications. There are several eras, with most from the pre-Civil War period. One of my goals is to visit all of them from Galveston, TX to Maine. I've seen one in Texas, one in Louisiana, two or three in Alabama, all in Georgia, all but two in Flordia (one Key West and one in the Dry Tortugas), two or three in South Carolina, none in North Carolina (Not sure there are any), and one in VA. Nothing north of VA yet.

The first one I saw and the oldest in the US is Castillo de San Marcos, which is in the oldest European City in the United States, St Augustine. It was never taken by Assault or seige, although Vauban never made it to America.

Forthwith is my first halting attempt at drawing it as a break from my German map. I used CA 161, which I don't know if that is the best one for such a work as it is missing such things as stairs and cannon and other niceties. Perhaps someone can suggest a better one. This will probably be trashed several times and started over as this is a new use of my skills and a new subject for me. Time was Army Officers were taught to sketch terrain and such. Not any more. I'm lucky I can draw a straight line with CC3 or a ruler, as you will probably see here. I failed lines, coloring, and penmanship in kindergarten and never recovered.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Looks like a really interesting project, Mike :)

I can't say which would be the best style, but have you got the CSUAC? You can get it from the Vintyri Project - links in the sticky resources thread at the top of the forum. Its full of all kinds of stuff that won't be of any use to you, but there just might be a cannon somewhere there.