Panorica: Duseksk's Domain | Shallow Island | Rebel Camp | Final Version

This is the final version of my "Rebel Camp". It is in my Shallow Island Map and is near the Lilia Village that I posted some days ago. What you think about it? In my humble opinion it turned out freaking great hahahahaahah.

This is my contribution for the may challenge the Quenten is putting on.
DoubleDouble

Comments

• The HD versions are still rendering. I will update the first post with the links ASAP =)
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    This looks real nice. Great work.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
  • Mateus090985Mateus090985 Traveler
    edited May 2020
    Friends... I just reworked my shadows and I have some weird results... In the program it is alreight but in the rendering I got strange results like the tower and the left corner. What is happening?

The first image is the rendering and the second is a print from CC
    This is related to the issue that CC3+ needs to render your image in multiple passes. While there is a certain overlap, effects that originate outside the current rendering "strip" won't be included (If they could be, ther wouldn't have been a need for rendering in several passes in the first place.)
    So, this happens when the entity that "provides" the effect is not inside the current render segment, which typically happens for things like long shadows.

You can generally get around this by increasing your max pixels per pass, which makes each section larger.
    You can increase it by using the EXPORTSETMPPP command.
    The default value is 4000000, you can try to set it to 40000000, that works for most people, but it can crash on very detailed maps since the export will require much more memory per pass. You can experiment with values in-between if you encounter issues.
  • Posted By: MonsenThis is related to the issue that CC3+ needs to render your image in multiple passes. While there is a certain overlap, effects that originate outside the current rendering "strip" won't be included (If they could be, ther wouldn't have been a need for rendering in several passes in the first place.)
    So, this happens when the entity that "provides" the effect is not inside the current render segment, which typically happens for things like long shadows.

You can generally get around this by increasing your max pixels per pass, which makes each section larger.
    You can increase it by using the EXPORTSETMPPP command.
    The default value is 4000000, you can try to set it to 40000000, that works for most people, but it can crash on very detailed maps since the export will require much more memory per pass. You can experiment with values in-between if you encounter issues.
    Thank you. I will try this. I have to use this command everytime or is a one time setup?
  • Mateus090985Mateus090985 Traveler
    edited May 2020
    I used 60 000 000 and it is almost all gone. Now I only have one strange weird spot on the right... Any suggestions? =)
    Well, the problem is that the map is still being rendered as two separate pieces.

Ways to handle that would be exporting the map in a lower resolution, not sure what you need, but you should be easily able to export those forum-sized images in a single pass. Also, turn off-anti-aliasing, or at least reduce it if you have it on a high value, as it generally don't provide that much of an improvement. Anti-aliasing forces the map to be exported in a higher resolution than you requested, and this will cause extra passes to be needed even if the basic resolution didn't.
    The other alternative is to turn off that particular shadow, and draw it manually using a polygon and the right effects. (As in the polygon is the shadow, not just a polygon with a shadow effect, that wouldn't change anything.)
  • Posted By: MonsenWell, the problem is that the map is still being rendered as two separate pieces.

Ways to handle that would be exporting the map in a lower resolution, not sure what you need, but you should be easily able to export those forum-sized images in a single pass. Also, turn off-anti-aliasing, or at least reduce it if you have it on a high value, as it generally don't provide that much of an improvement. Anti-aliasing forces the map to be exported in a higher resolution than you requested, and this will cause extra passes to be needed even if the basic resolution didn't.
    The other alternative is to turn off that particular shadow, and draw it manually using a polygon and the right effects. (As in the polygon is the shadow, not just a polygon with a shadow effect, that wouldn't change anything.)
    Anti-aliasing do not improve much? Good to know! I put then freaking high in my exports hahahaah
    edited May 2020
    It depends a lot on the map. It is mostly useful for text, although you can see a visual difference in some aspects of the map. But generally, reducing anti-aliasing is much preferred to reducing main export size or having problems with effects. Part of the reason for this is that anti-aliasing has a relatively low return based on the export size required for it. If you can "afford" it, great, but in my book, it is usually the first to go.
    Anti-aliasing in general is usually mostly noticeable when you zoom in a bit on your map as well, as it does soften edges between "stuff", but zoomed out, it can be difficult to notice if it is on or off at all (again, depends on the map)

You can look on the "work size" indicator below the anti-aliasing slider. It shows you the true export size. For example, if you export a 1000x1000 image using 100% anti-aliasing, CC3+ will need to export a 4000x4000 pixel image, that is an image 16 times as large. I usually keep it on 'Low', which gives an appropriate amount without inflating the export size too much. Anything above Medium really starts to get expensive compared to what you are getting back.
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    A quick technical note: the antialiasing in CC3+ is pretty good these days, but if you're planning on doing post-processing work with a paint tool like Photoshop, you might be better off eliminating the antialiasing in CC3+, exporting a slightly higher resolution image (say, 15% to 33% larger in each dimension), and then doing a final downsampling in the paint tool to the desired size after doing other manipulations. That way, everything will have the same level of crispness in the final output and you don't have CC3+ do a whole bunch of work that you're going to mess with anyhow.
  • Posted By: MonsenIt depends a lot on the map. It is mostly useful for text, although you can see a visual difference in some aspects of the map. But generally, reducing anti-aliasing is much preferred to reducing main export size or having problems with effects. Part of the reason for this is that anti-aliasing has a relatively low return based on the export size required for it. If you can "afford" it, great, but in my book, it is usually the first to go.
    Anti-aliasing in general is usually mostly noticeable when you zoom in a bit on your map as well, as it does soften edges between "stuff", but zoomed out, it can be difficult to notice if it is on or off at all (again, depends on the map)

You can look on the "work size" indicator below the anti-aliasing slider. It shows you the true export size. For example, if you export a 1000x1000 image using 100% anti-aliasing, CC3+ will need to export a 4000x4000 pixel image, that is an image 16 times as large. I usually keep it on 'Low', which gives an appropriate amount without inflating the export size too much. Anything above Medium really starts to get expensive compared to what you are getting back.
    With 25% anti-aliasses it worked! Thank you.
  • Updated the first post with the versions with the new shadows (without weird erros!). Thank you Monsen!

Now we have THE REAL final version =) (see #1 post).
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Mateus - lovely map :)

I think you posted at the same time as jslayton earlier and may have missed his handy tip 3 comments ago. I used to do exactly that when I had a broken laptop that wouldn't handle anything larger than a single thought for the day. I can't say that I noticed much difference when I got my new PC and started to do the rendering within CC3, but if Joe says there's a difference it might be worth experimenting.
  • Posted By: LoopysueMateus - lovely map :)

I think you posted at the same time as jslayton earlier and may have missed his handy tip 3 comments ago. I used to do exactly that when I had a broken laptop that wouldn't handle anything larger than a single thought for the day. I can't say that I noticed much difference when I got my new PC and started to do the rendering within CC3, but if Joe says there's a difference it might be worth experimenting.
    Oh, I missed it. Thank you for pointing out.

Thanks for the info jslayton!
  • 11 months later
  • Hello! I apologize if this is an ignorant question, I'm still learning about the software and mapping. Is this your own style that you made, or are these symbols available in ProFantasy, via CC3+, an annual, or a symbol set? I have a map in mind, and this style of symbols would be perfect!

Thank you so much!