Weird clash with sheet effects, need guidance... err.. solved?

I've been making a bunch of maps for my 5E Mystara campaign, and while making a quick lizard man lair dungeon map, I'm getting a really weird sheet interaction that I can't figure out. I'm using the Schley symbol set/style.

I started the map out by drawing the cave floor S:FLOORS/L:BACKGROUND (FLOORS 1)/FS:Mud. Next I made a box the size of the map border on S:WALLS/L:WALLS/FS:NatStone5. Moved the wall out of the border, copied the floor over, and made a Multi-Poly out of the wall, then moved it back. Now I have the "cut-out" effect for the cave, and it looks great. Next I added a few floor pieces on S:FLOORS RAISED 1/L:BACKGROUND (FLOORS 2)/FS:Mud, to get a raised section. Finally I added some standing pools of water.

When I turned on sheet effects I now have this crazy interaction between the WALLS sheet effects (inner & outer glow plus bevel) and the FLOORS RAISED 1 (Inner & Outer Glow) & WATER (Inner Edge Fade & Outer Glow). If I disable the effects on the WALLS sheet it looks fine, but then I don't get the bevel/glow on the walls, of course. The only workaround I've come up with is to copy the walls on the WALLS sheet to the WALLS MASK sheet above it, with no effects. This covers up the screw looking overlaps, but now I don't get the sheet effects.

Wait... if I move the copied walls to a sheet *below* the WALLS layer, with no effects, it seems to stop the various glows from interacting. So my order of sheets now:

1: FLOORS (cave floor in mud, fractal poly)
2: FLOORS RAISED 1 (cave floor in mud, smooth poly)
3: WATER (smooth poly, water)
4: WALLS MASK (multipoly that cut out floor, stone5)
5: WALLS (same multipoly, stone5)

Sheet 4 has *no effects* and seems to stop 2 & 3 from interacting with 5. Weird, but I guess that solves my issue!

Comments