mapping sheets with interiors and exteriors same map

I am retrofitting a giant 20 year old city exteriors map. I want to put my interior floor plans on a separate sheet on the same city map so I can see all my floors on a single map by hiding roof layer etc. Is there a good way to do this?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Well, the good way is "Just do it".

For the complicated bits
    - Since effects are linked to sheets, you cannot just put everything from one floor on a single sheet. So, you'll need to manage multiple sheets for each "view"

Also, since you are talking about a city map here, how large is the city? If the city map is very large and you have tons of buildings you wish to show the interiors for, it is probably a far better approach to keep these buildings in their own maps, and then just have a clickable hotspot on the buildings in the city map that takes you to the floorplan.
    For a smaller city, your approach is certainly doable, but I still recommend you consider the linking approach.

To automate the showing/hiding of the correct hseets if you go that route, I recommend setting up macros with buttons in the map to handle this. Check this blog article for some information about hiding/showing sheets and automating it.
  • Why can't you put all the roofs on a roof LAYER, and hide it either manuualy, or via a macro (see above) when you want to show the interiors. But having hotspots for each building sounds better to me, as Monsen suggested. Saves you having to do all the buildings at once.