File Import

Hi everyone,

I'm new to forum and program and was trying to figure out how do I import a map already created in another program - file ext jpg, bmp, program such as autorealm

Any help would be much appreciated

Betsie

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    You can always use Draw -> insert file to insert it into a drawing.

Do note that you cannot edit such image files when placed inside CC3+, but you can use them as a background, and either use it as a guide to trace to remake it in CC3+, orjust keep it as a background, and put CC3+ entities on top of it.
  • That means I would have to make my map all over again.... guess I should ask for money back and just keep autorealm since my map is already complete..... very disappointing
  • I had several hundred maps I drew on 5mm hexagon paper. I imported them as bmp files from a scanner. Drew over them.

I've made over five thousand maps using this software. First 300 or so was done by importing a graphic file.
    edited April 2020
    CC3+ isn't an image editor, and unfortunately, a flat jpg/png image doesn't contain the information required for a program like CC3+ or similar to extract information from it. It is easy for the human eye to spot a city symbol on a picture and understand it's meaning, not so simple for a computer. Making it even more complicated, a city symbol from another mapping program wouldn't look like a city symbol from CC3+ either, so CC3+ wouldn't really have a way to represent it identical to your old map.

This problem will always be the case when you try to bring files between different software solutions. Something exported as a plain image will never be properly importable in a way that it can be properly edited. For example, a CC3+ map contains information about every entity in the map, all symbols, lines, polygons, etc. The information contains where it is located' it's size, color, layer, sheet, and heaps of other information. Even if two entities overlap, CC3+ knows they are two different entities, and they can easily be moved apart without causing issues for each other. But once you export something to a flat image format, all information like that is lost, all you have left is a pretty image.

You'll encounter this issue no matter what package you go for, they'll offer similar functionality like CC3+, i.e. put it in the background. If you wish to preserve editing capabilities without remaking the map, you'll basically need to stay with the original package the map was made in. CC3+ do have lots of tools that can help you recreate the map using the old one as a guide, but no magic capability of instantly turning a flat image file into a map for use in CC3+.

I don't use AutoRealm, but it too is vector based, so it might be that it can output in a format CC3+ can input, like AutoCad .dxf files. This could preserve vector information, and make the process easier, but you'll still need to do quite a bit of work before it is properly ready for CC3+, but it can save quite a bit of tracing and stuff.
  • Well I checked the section for CC3+ to load bitmap emf n whatever else.... I went back saved graphic as such file yet this program does not recognize the file - seems like they should have thought about this one a little more - file import is extremely limited

I do like auto realm and maybe being biased but I have used a number of programs and was really reluctant towards this one. So it boils down to I can't even import the graphic so I can trace it.... sorry but I'm feeling like I've wasted my money
    Well, CC3+ does come with a 14-day money back guarantee, so trying it out is never wasted money.
    I went back saved graphic as such file yet this program does not recognize the file
    Which file type is that? CC3+ supports most common file types (jpg, png, bmp). Anything else, you should be able to quickly convert to an appropriate format in an image editor.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited April 2020
    I am sorry to hear you are so disappointed with the software, but I am sure that Profantasy will honour their 14 day money back guarantee with no questions asked. I've never heard of anyone being disappointed in that part of the service - probably because we have one of the most responsive and caring support teams in the world :)

Sadly, CC3 doesn't import emf files. It only imports the most common vector and bitmap types as shown in the list below. That's because other apps usually export to these formats. It's a sort of unofficial universal transfer type list. There's probably a better bit of terminology for this but I don't know it.

(Incidentally, the importing is done by using the Insert File command in the Draw menu, and you then have to click twice in the open map window to define where you want the imported image to appear - like drawing a box where you want the image pasted)

Unfortunately, if Autorealm doesn't export any of the file types shown on the list below (which would be a little surprising to say the least), there's nothing anyone can do about that - except Autorealm of course. EDIT: though Monsen's comment above reminds me that you can easily convert to one of these formats in any free bitmap editor like GIMP.

Sorry!

I hope you find your ideal mapping solution soon.

Happy mapping :)
  • Hi Loopysue,

I looked forward to working with CC3+ - but something's not right

I see your list of what is supported however that does not come up on my program.... only the 1st five of your list is what's on mine.... I cannot open any other files -

So the question is - am I doing something wrong? But I mean its a file - how do I get the program to recognize and open those file types????
    The first five are file types you can open as a map using file -> open. These are files CC3+ can work with as a map.
    All of them can be inserted in an existing map using draw -> insert file, but as mentioned above, the image file types will just be inserted as a flat image
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Oh I get it!

You're trying to actually open the image you've exported from Autorealm.

That's not how it works.

You need to create a new file in CC3 first and then import the image file into it.

What kind of map do you want to import? Is it a regional map, a city map, or a dungeon map? And do you have only the core app, or more than that?