Found Orbis Mundi (Medieval Times reference book)

For those of you that have seen some of my recent posts regarding my pursuit of medieval history you will understand what my feelings are about this tomb. For those that don't...

Orbis Mundi 2 by Phillip McGregor is 470 pages of medieval background material that can be placed into any game world. The volume covers nearly everything you might want to include in your game. Cities, Manors, Guilds, Everyday Life and much more are covered. On top of that there is a second book of about 270 pages called the Marketplace that goes into depth on medieval economics. I'm not going to post a link here because the book is for sale on DriveThru and I can't remember what the rules are regarding store links here.

If you buy Orbis Mundi 2 alone you would probably not need to buy anything else. The only thing I think it lacks is how magic would effect these areas.

P.S. Just as an aside, Columbia Games produces Harnworld and the Harnmaster system which has a lot of this information built into a ready to go setting. I'm not saying they used Orbis Mundi as a reference as Harn is one of the oldest RPG systems and worlds having first come out in the early 80s. Chivalry and Sorcery is another great game that does much of the same thing. It has the added advantage of putting as much as it possibly can in a single book. Its 600 pages long and is bookmarked better than any pdf I have ever seen in an RPG.

Historical references and games like these inspired me to buy this software to enhance my own experiences so I thought I would pass them on.

Comments