Help With Insert File

Hey all, how goes in these crazy days?

If I might ask for assistance. I am using the Heraldry option via CC3+ and I'm having an issue. Below you will see 2 PNGs I've simply tried to insert onto a blue shield. Attempting to render this design out resulted in craziness: 100 passes?!? when finished, the results attempt to save somewhere on my machine, but I can't find them.

Therefore, I ask: what is the proper way of creating the design in CC3+? Do I have to import the PNGs and painstakingly draw them via a polygon drawing tool? Somehow convert them into one of the types of symbols? Something else? Please advise.

Yikes. Problems showing images.

Standby please

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited April 2020
    The number of passes are only dependent on the export resolution you use (+ anti-aliasing size), not the png's you add. If you get 100 passes, your export resolution is way to high, and I am betting the images generated are so large that the final convertion step crashes, resulting in no files.

Try to reduce your export resolution significantly. (What do you have it on now btw? and what is the anti-aliasing setting?)
  • Thank you, Monsen.

Apparently you are quite correct. Exporting with transparent background hid the massive size. Redoing asap.

thanks!

Cal
  • edited April 2020
    Attempting again. Thanks for your patience Monsen.

Cal

What the heck is up with the gargantuan background? argh.
  • edited April 2020
    Are these images too large? I did a resize on both and they still seem too large.

Could advise please?

thanks
    Cal

PS: maybe if I do 100 x 100 that will fix.
  • Maybe I should just describe what I need:

a cross moline fitchy argent: the cross above is close, but is a cross fitchy flory argent

a flame gules fimbriated or: a red flame outlined in gold

all this on an Azure shield.

thanks
    Cal
    As I said above, the size of the images doesn't matter at all (well, within reason), it is the export resolution in CC3+ that causes the number of passes to go up. Resizing the images won't do anything to affect that.
  • Posted By: Calibre

Yikes. Problems showing images.

Standby please
    Limit of about 1 megabyte and 1000 pixels in both directions.

Otherwise you'll get some message about it can't find the discussion.
  • OK, using inkscape, I can't see how to change the resolution, only the size. Apparently, I need some other graphic editor.

Suggestions?

thanks
    Cal
    Your image editor doesn't have anything to do with this.

If CC3+ gives you 100 passes, it is because your your export resolution IN CC3+ is too high. Check Tools menu --> Options --> BMP, JPEG, PNG button.
    Either the width/height values here are way out of proportions, or less likely, your max pixels per pass have been lowered, but this can only be done from the command line, which is unlikely to have happened.
  • Posted By: Calibre

Therefore, I ask: what is the proper way of creating the design in CC3+? Do I have to import the PNGs and painstakingly draw them via a polygon drawing tool? Somehow convert them into one of the types of symbols? Something else? Please advise.
    To get PNG images into CC3+:
    1. put them in a folder where you intend to keep them. If you insert images into CC3+ then later move them to a different folder on your system, it will break the connection between your map file and the image.

2. navigate to and open the folder using the folder navigation button at the top of your symbol catalog window (shows a yellow folder icon).

3. Select one of the images and click OPEN.

Your images are now usable as simple symbols. You will have to set the Sheet and Layer that you want them on before placing them since none of that has been defined.
    Attempting to render this design out resulted in craziness: 100 passes?!?
    When you choose to save the FCW map file as a JPEG or PNG, make sure that the resolution and anti alias is not set too high. This setting can be accessed via the option button in the save as dialog.
  • 6 days later
  • Hey all

Sorry for delay in response. However I'd like to point out that the resolution settings I use are the ones Ralf advised me to use when exporting my highly intricate maps. Heretofore, I've had no issues with saving as rectangular PNG.

Hence, my confusion.

Monson, I don't know what resolution to use for rendering out my coat of arms. Thank you for your help.

thanks
    Cal
    Well, unless you need it in insanely high quality, I'd say that setting the width and height to 1000 pixels each and the anti-alias setting to 25% should be fine. Double the width/height if you really need it.