Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    Attempting to install CC3+ and while unpacking, I get the following message:

The file C:\ProgramData\mia439D.tmp\data\OFFLINE\2C8B4AB9\820CE03\Cut32f.dll is infected with Gen:Variant.Razy.652975 and was moved to quarantine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalf
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2020 edited

BitDefender is notorious for being overzealous with its heuristic scans and flagging up dlls as infected when they are not. Our virus checking (Windows Defender and Symantec) indicate there is no problem with the file, and it also hasn't been changed in ages. I've submitted it as a false positive to BitDefender.

If you are unsure you can always run an online scan of such files, for example at Kaspersky: https://opentip.kaspersky.com/
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2020

Kaspersky is really good. I only stopped using it because the cost became prohibitive.

Windows Defender is nearly as good. I rely entirely on it these days. No point in paying for a second AV if the one you get free with Windows does the job.

@Ralf - Just out of curiosity, has Symantec ever detected anything that Defender missed?
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalf

@Sue: Hard to say because Symantec Endpoint Protection takes over the whole process- We use it mostly for its company-wide protection and alerts. The normal private user nowadays is perfectly fine Windows Defender in my experience.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

I use Norton - any advantage over Windows Defender?
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

The good thing about Norton is you can protect multiple devices, including tablets and phones, i believe. I used to use it, but have been using Webroot - my old company used them and we got corp. discount.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I use pcmatic. I don't trust kaspersky, nor Norton/Symantic.
    • CommentAuthortaustinoc

The biggest advantage of Defender, in my experience, is the light footprint on system resources. There's nothing else that I've ever used that I couldn't tell it slowed things down and Norton is a pig on system resources.

And it's always in the top 5 in tests of how effective it is.
    Thanks y'all. That's what I suspected, but I felt it necessary to at least bring it up. :)