Making Hill country with FT3

What is the best way to generate hill country in FT3? Roughness? Noise? Other?

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    The basic answer to that is whatever you choose, but only ever in moderation. Use the tools as weak as you can and do things gradually.

The more complicated answer is what do you mean by hill country exactly? There are all kinds of hills in the world, but only so many shapes that can be expressed by the fractal functions in FT3 at that level of detail. Are you using any erosion? If so, are you doing the erosion in FT3, or exporting the map and doing it somewhere else?
  • I'm trying to create a height map for a map that I have. So I made a simple import using an image of the map that was simplified to just hills, mountains, and deserts. This gave the coastline and bumpy depressions where the hills and mountains are. That's fine because I can see where the mountain ranges are and then trace a freehand selection and then use the moundtain or profiled mound tools. I've used both roughness and noise to generate hills with mixed results. I would like to have the hills decrease in height away from the mountain ranges but not sure how to do that either--have tried using the remap altitude tool on the profiled mound with noise added but don't understand how best to profile it away from the mountains. I've attached a pdf that shows an area with the bumpy depressions where hills would be and a Moundtain range.