Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2020

Maybe soften the contour beyond the town walls of Wrelna? Looks a bit too harsh and angular currently.

And does the road from the Farmers' Gate really just stop in the middle of nowhere? Maybe fade it out to a track, or just continue it off the southwestern map edge?
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2020

I'll be going back over each map and updating them/fixing them as I go.

That road should keep going.

I think I had a fade or something on that contour, I'll look at it again as I go through the maps.

Need to do the last 3 and post them first though.

Thanks for the feedback.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2020 edited

Oops. I thought the letter key for Wrelna Town was messed up, it is.

Here isthe correct version, and I extended the Farmer's Gate road.

a) main gate
    b) military commander's house
    c) town hall
    d) wizard tower
    e) merchant homes
    f) Bill's Inn and Bar
    g) Town water fountain and well
    h) wells
    j) storage
    k) commoner houses
    l) town militia or town military homes
    m) tax man
    n) stables
    o) warehouses
    p) store

edit: fixed the effect on the darker green/higher ground
      wrelna_town01_0030b.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2020

LOL! The tax man is now living in what was formerly the stables :P
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I had them mislabeled.

Any who, I wont be making a store for Wrelna Town, the general general store map can be used for that.

I'll be looking at the suggestions for the kobold village names. And I'll come up with names for the two ruins.

I'll start going through my list of maps, write up some infor for most of them, and start posting them.

I'll put numbers on the map so all of us can keep track of which map is being commented on. I'll try to get that done later in the week.

This map of Keeper Tower top is map 37 out of 37 maps.

Spears in a stack. Quivers of arrows on the boxes, more quivers inside. Buckets of water to put out any fire arrows, etc. landing on the tower top. Toiletes for those who get stuck up here in battle or long watches.
      Keeper_Tower_toplevel_0007b.png
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2020

Wrelna map's looking improved now Jim. Surprising what just a couple of tweaks can do sometimes!

Might want to rethink the wells perhaps. There seem to be rather a lot of them - including a couple of apparently identical structures that aren't currently labelled as such (so may not be wells, of course). Wells in a settlement tend to end up at road/path junctions, and sometimes with houses clustered nearby (especially poorer dwellings), because everyone has to go there every day at least.

The central fountain/well "G" works nicely as a focal point, and the market will likely set up in the area around that readily enough.

Some of the smaller ones might benefit from moving into the town a little more though, and moving the buildings closer to them. The well nearest the stables (N) might even be in the stable yard, because lugging enough water for horses any distance daily isn't practical. Essentially, the stables would have been built where the well was.

Not sure I follow what the difference between warehouses (O) and storage (J) is.

Just what occurred to me looking at it!
    • CommentAuthorJimP

P is a house symbol so that storage place would likely have personal items or small items.

The O buildings are rectangular places more suited for storing larger items.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2020

Map One, overall map of the Moroni Range, south, out of 38 maps.

If you want to comment, and I do hope you will, please refer to the map number I will be placing on the top, or as close as i can get it, of each map.

There will be delays between posting of some maps as I correct errors/additions I want to do.
      Moroni_Range01_017b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Map 2, a closer in area map
      keeper_tower_area02_0012b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP

map 3, closer look
      keeper_tower01_0040b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Four, Castle Defender in the Elf woods
      castle_defender01_0023b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Map 5. Wrel Tower

Added a few more buildings inside the walls, and one more well.
      wrel_tower01_007b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Bell village

map 6
      Bell_villagearea01_020b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Map 7

Moo village.
      Moo_villagearea01_012b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2020 edited

Map 8.

Outstretched Tower. Added/changed the effects.

Should I move these to put three maps in each post ?

My apologies.

Map 9

Shoro Town. No changes.

I'll quit here and await comments.

Please refer to the map number on each map. Thanks.
      outstretched_tower01_0015b.png
      shoro_town01_021b.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Starting with map 4.
    Shouldn't there be a road path leading up to the moat bridge?
    The compass rose and scale bar also looks weirdly placed, when there is so much space down in the corner.

Map 3
    The road network only exists inside the map. Shouldn't there be a couple of roads leading out of the area as well?
    Bell looks like it is placed so that the road runs through it, but the actual city map doesn't reflect this. Perhaps move the symbol a little, maybe even add a small section of road to connect it as a "dead end"
    Similar with Moo

Map 7
    I advice you to drop the drop shadow on the text. It just makes it harder to read. An outer glow is better.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Okay, I'll work on that. Thanks !
    • CommentAuthorJimP

On map 4, Castles style. Unless I am the one who messed them up, the top and left map border is on the Roof sheet instead of the Map Border sheet. The other two parts are on the correct sheet.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Corrections made.

I'll wait for more comments before I post the next set of 9 maps.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I'll go ahead and post the fixed maps.

I see a couple of things. I'll go ahead and correct them, and change out these maps with any corrected maps.

Map 3; Crops near Zosh were in the middle of the road.

Map 4; trees in the middle of roads, and added a road.

Map 7; dropped the drop shadow and added glow outer.
      keeper_tower01_0041b.png
      castle_defender01_0025b.png
      Moo_villagearea01_014b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2020 edited

Onward !

Map 10 Stout Tower.

better fortified than some other towns. Do they know something the others don't ? Or is it just newer construction ?

Map 11 Wrelna Town

Hopefully I have the town lettering for locations correct now.

Map 12: Zosh town

fixed the glow on the text.
      stout_tower01_017b.png
      wrelna_town01_0030b2.png
      Zosh_villagearea01_005b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Map 13 and 14 are ruins. Any ideas on names for these locations ?

Map 13, a scattering of brush and dead trees added.

Map 14, an almost path of small brown brush going between upper left and lower right of the map. Marching plants ?

They are a little hard to see. Should I put them on their own sheet and add bigger shadows ?

Map 15: Ost Kobold

( Ost is north and Sud is south ? I think I remember that from my stamp collecting days decades ago. )
      yonder_spring_ruins01_0004b.png
      yonder_spring_ruins02_0003b.png
      kobold_ost01_009b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2020

Working on the rest of these 9 maps. Please wait until I get those posted for comments.

Thanks !
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Map 17 Forest Tower

Added more buildings and roads/paths. For some reason even with effects off this one can take up to 4 seconds to refresh after a change. I'll add the fcw.

Map 18: general General Store. The benches in the waiting rook are 4.5' wide and about 10' long. Building must be large.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2020

I'll quit here and await comments.

Please refer to the map number on each map. Thanks.

This brings the total to 18 maps. There will be two more sets of 9, with a couple of maps after that.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2020

Any comments before I post the next 9 maps ?

Likely later today.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2020 edited

12:
    Zosh seem a bit empty. Maybe at least a road through the city. Something resembling a square in the center perhaps, or at least a more muddy section where people walk.

13/14:
    The ruined areas seem a bit empty. Given that they are ruins, and probably don't see much traffic, I would assume they are a bit more overgrown by vegetation and the like.

18:
    The scale of the store sounds weird. If those benches are really supposed to be 10' long, then the everything is impossibly huge, like the door openings, the payment desk, the stairs outside. You should probably look into the scale of that map.

17:
    The slowdown is because of the walls. Each 10-foot wall segment is made of about 200 entities, takes time to render all of them. That's one of the issues when vector symbols become too detailed.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Thanks, I'll check into that.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

updated Zosh

1) main gate
    2) food stall
    3) weapons stall
    The store and sundries building between the two stalls carries more items.

4) secondary gate
    5) one of several apple trees
    6) shops, family lives upstairs.
      Zosh_villagearea01_007b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2020 edited

ruins south of Yonder Pond

Greensih buildings, must be moldy.

1) the old tower, tree growing close to it.
    2) two walls left, cracked ground
    3) four partial walls, tree growing into the building. Might have been a house at one time.

4) two walls barely standing, shrub growing inside.

5) an old well.

Either something growing in the 7) garden, wandered around, and went into the well. Or something came out of the well, wandered around for a bit, and stopped at the garden.

6) some reddish weeds... they appear to almost be in formation.
    7) the previously mentioned garden

8) a tree that appears to be an autumn tree, even in the spring.
    9) a reddish tree in several locations. Sometimes move when there is no wind.

ruins west of Yonder Pond

The trees and brush are white year round, and they appear to be eating the buildings.

1) and 8) the old town defenses
    2) a small building, curved wall
    3) two walls left with brush growing inside

4) and 5) rather sturdier buildings
    6) a small building, curved wall

7) a small building, two walls left.

9) a pergola, seems to be keeping the white trees and shrubbery at bay
    10) either this tree is now being converted to a tree that eats buildings, or it finds the building unappetizing.

11) a path of ever white trees making their way ever so slowly to new feeding grounds.

updated general General Store. I scaled it down to 40% of the original size I made it. The furnishings and rooms are of a more believable size. Benches are 6' long and 2; wide.
      yonder_spring_ruins01_0006b.png
      yonder_spring_ruins02_0004b.png
      general_store01_0014b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Remy, should I redo the town walls on number 17 ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

No, that's not necessary. Just pointed out that they are the cause of the slowdown.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Okay. I'll eat lunch and maybe post the next 9 later today or tomorrow.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2020 edited

Three sets left. Each one in a different town. So they wont be split up.

This set has 6 maps.

Tower Keep details.

map 19: Tower Keep ground level/first level.

map 20: Tower Keep, second level

map 21: Tower Keep, third level
      Keeper_Tower_groundlevel01_0012b.png
      Keeper_Tower_level02_0010b.png
      Keeper_Tower_level03_0006b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2020 edited

Map 22: Tower Keep, level 3

Map 23: Tower Keep, top

Map 24: Tower Keep, basement
      Keeper_Tower_level04_0008b.png
      Keeper_Tower_toplevel_0007b2.png
      Keeper_Tower_basement01_005b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2020

That is it for this set.

Please comment by number on the top of the map. Thanks !
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2020 edited

I apparently thought of more maps than I made. Bell doesn't have 6, the town has 5.

Map 25: Bell adventure items store.

rather small, but so is the town.

Map 26: ground/first level of the storage building. Rather longer than wide, so I had to shrink it more than the other maps.

Map 27: first/second floor. had to shrink thiso ne as well.
      Bell_adventure_store01_0015b.png
      Bell_storage01_0012b.png
      Bell_storage02_005b2.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2020 edited

Map 28: Bell town Bread and Cheese shop.

Map 29: Bell repair shop. Either it is the off season, or one person does all the work.

That is all of the shops in Bell town. Please comment using the map numbers. Thanks.
      Bell_bread_cheese01_0011b.png
      Bell_repairs01_0012b.png
    What's with the yellow floor? Is it made of cheese? 8D
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2020

It is a cheap flooring the town bought. Apparently it makes the workers feel miserable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

For maps like the keeper tower (19-23), it looks good if you copy the outside detail (trees/bushes) to the exact same spot on each map (not including the basement) and then fade them out a bit to indicate they are a level below. Copying them to the exact same point is easy with clipboard copy if you use the origin (0,0) of the map as the clipboard origin when copying.
    Fading them out can be achieved by just throwing a polygon using the solid white 20 fill over them (or a standard white polygon with transparency effect). Just make sure the entire thing (trees and polygon) are beneath all parts of the tower, including the floors.

All of these maps would probably also benefit from having a small path comming in from outside the map and up to the door. Even if there is no official road up to the house, the grass will always be worn down from all the traffic.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Okay. I'll work on that.

On my cell
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2020

Map 19: added path.

The others are likely going to take longer than this one did.
      Keeper_Tower_groundlevel01_0013b.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

That looks better :)

It gives the map a sort of reference point.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I think I understand what you suggested, but I'm going to only do this one map in case I got it wrong.

Map 20: white area with transparency, 30%.

The tree shadows bother me, are they okay being there ? Or should I move the trees to symbols, flat ?
      Keeper_Tower_level02_0011b.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

That looks weird. Did you just cover the trees and road here? You should use a large rectangle that covers the entire map (Which is why you also need to mess with the sheet order to make sure it doesn't appear on top of the tower too.)
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2020 edited

I've had a couple of tries at compiling some notes for you on these maps Jim, but as I'm not online every day, the topic has rapidly becoming overwhelming to try to make sense of. Maybe splitting the maps between a number of topics would have made it easier for folks to comment usefully, though Remy's been doing a sterling job on many of the smaller-area maps so far.

I've been having huge struggles to understand Maps 1 to 3, however, and have stalled there. I'm sorry if some of the following seems a bit blunt, but the more I try to type additional thoughts, the more confused I've got! These notes are intended to help though, given these are all still works-in-progress.

Map 1:

Is the square grid actually necessary? Seems a distraction - replace with a normal scale bar maybe?

Adjust label placements (or perhaps font sizes - several labels seem a bit too large) to be less adjacent to their symbols (Castle Defender is underneath its label, for instance).

The Starshine Forest label is too near the eastern map edge.

Needs a key for all the unlabelled symbols.

Maybe make the river name blue?

Map 2:

This map doesn't seem to fit with the overall form of the northeast end of the mountain range as shown on Map 1. Plus Map 1 seems to have two different symbols, one (?) of which is labelled as Keeper Tower (not sure which, however), but that would have to be either on a high mountain peak, or an east-facing slope leading up to one, yet on Map 2, it's apparently down on the plain from the label placement (I'm guessing it's meant to be the other symbol halfway down a mountain on the edge of the range, however, which doesn't fit too well with the locations for whichever is meant as Keeper Tower on Map 1). There also seems a dormant volcano dominating Map 2 on the NE range edge, which isn't apparent on Map 1, and a whole range of hills along the map's southern edge which have no clear analogue on Map 1 either. From the look of Map 1, it may be a part of Starshine Forest should be showing in Map 2's NE corner as well. Scales on both these maps might help resolve some of these points.

Map 3:

This confuses me still more, as the huge mountains of Map 1 now look to be low hills instead, with a substantial expanse of woodland to their northeast which was oddly not previously labelled, and a seemingly dominant town (Shoro) also never previously illustrated. I can't visualise what relation this map has to Map 2. Keeper Tower seems to have migrated back into the hills-that-were-mountains at least, but it's now a lot more central than on either Maps 1 or 2. On Map 2, it was right on the range edge, and even on Map 1 both possible Keeper Tower symbols were towards that NE range-edge, which makes it seem like the extent of the mountain/hills range has shrunk dramatically by Map 3. There seem to be a couple of unusual symbols shown which might benefit from a key here as well (in the mountains/hills).

Maps 1 to 3: Looking at this group together suggests 2 and 3 might benefit from reworking in relation to one another, drawing on the overall look of Map 1. I realise the three are meant to be zooming-in from Map 1 to Map 3, but that shouldn't mean the relative position of features shown on Map 1 should change between maps, and to me anyway, it shouldn't be this difficult to work out where the earlier features are, and thus where the new ones are in relation to them.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I accidently left the grids up on some maps. I'll either hide those or delete them when I am done.

Yes, I misunderstood then. I made a transparency on just the trees and roads.

I'll print this page to pdf. Its been a hectic week with an item I ordered, took over a week extra to get to me, and then... it didn't work. New item coming, not working one returned.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2020 edited

Further away maps, don't show much more than generic landscapes. Closer shows more details, and more exact locations.

However, I have placed Keeper Tower on hills.

Updated map 2.
      keeper_tower_area02_0014b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2020

Okay, I'm better rested today.

Remy, I'll fix that. Kinda busy today, but I'll take care of it.

Wyvern:

Map 1.

Unlabeled towers, I was going to let other mappers take care of those locations.

I'll move the forest name.

Map 2: I changed the font size and labeled the ruins as ruins.

Large scale maps wont show all of the towns, it would get too crowded.

I can remove the dormant volcano. The elf forest is off map 2.

Map 3: zoomed in more. So only a part of the range is going to show, these are the foothills.

I did export rectangular png files and used them as a guide in the next map to place locations at the same spot between maps.

Possibly scale bars will help resolve this confusion. I'll add them in and repost.