Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2020

corrected the spelling of the town name. K are commoner homes, L are town militia or town military homes.
      wrelna_town01_0026b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2020

Keeper Tower, more work to be done, this is a preliminary map.
      Keeper_Tower02_00006b.png
    Too many towers on the castle wall and both seem too large or too thick. I need a scale bar to make sense of this.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2020

The wall tool with connecting bits put them on there. Dont remember the scall off hand. Hmm... Probably 200 feet or 400 feet across.

These are preliminary maps. Details and refinement comes later.

On my cell phone. Had an ant problem. Hopefully gone. Otherwise I wouldn't be up this late.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2020 edited

I had to make some adjustments, and redo the walls completely. The towers were covering a gap, and appeared whenever I clicked the mouse button.

Scale is 10' squares and the map is 200' across.
      Keeper_Tower02_00011b.png
    Looks much better. Were you using connecting symbols for the wall or a drawing tool? (They seem familiar to me but I can't remember where from. Source Maps: Castles! maybe?) I recommend using a dedicated gate symbol rather than the two larger towers for the entry to the compound. Also wall tower roofs don't need crenellations unless there is access to them for archers. (A trap door maybe?) Same for the "Main Tower". Since the walls are relatively thin (5-8 feet isn't much to fend off a determined assault) they are probably solid and would require outside access by stairs or ladders to man the parapets. Finally the dirt road should have a Dirt bitmap fill and perhaps an "Edge Fade" or "Glow" effect for the verges.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2020

The towers came with the symbol I used to draw the walls with. Source Maps: Castles is what I used.

The symbol is Wall CT 10' 1.Fountain from CA117, houses from CD3B.

So, to alter the walls and towers, I would have to use something else. I might be able to find trap doors from another symbol set.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2020 edited

Couldn't find the trap door I wanted, so I used the vari-color lava pit with color 42. The bubbles are wear and tear on the wood.

Added a bit more text. Firewood, and a chopping block with more firewood.
      Keeper_Tower02_00014b.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2020

Jim, can I suggest you make the shadow on the firewood and some other things much less eg SYMBOLS LOW sheet.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2020

Yeah, they are currently on Symbols sheet. All of the shadows need to be less.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Just have a sheet for the type of shadow you want - i often use SYMBOLS FLAT with no shadow, SYMBOLS LOW, SYMBOLS and SYMBOLS HIGH each with different shadow length.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Less wide, more transparent regular shadows; and the wood piles are on Symbols, flat. Added wall shadow, but its barely there.
      Keeper_Tower02_00016b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2020 edited

Area map, I thought I had effects solved, but they aren't showing up well for some reason.

Yonder Spring ? Well, it didn't have a name for many years. People got tired of being asked where the spring was, they just replied 'Yonder !'.

So, people then started calling it Yonder Spring. Other folks in the area don't use the name.

The square grid wont be on the final map.
      keeper_tower01_0037b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2020

I'm looking at more than one dungeon mapping style for the 2 ruins, and maybe some underground areas in one or more villages.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2020 edited

Kobold village 2. And changes to the compass and scale Kobold village 1.
      kobold_village01_008b.png
      kobold_village02_002b.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Hmm.. Seems like the kobolds have an empire-wide plan for the layout of village roads :) Maybe a bit less similarity would be good?
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Yeah, I just changed the buildings. One has a black for the smoke plume liner, the other doesn't. I'll change up the foot paths.

Here is the main floor for Keeper Tower, entrance is one level up.

Probably add a basement with more storage.
      keeper_tower_main01_009b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Here is the updated Kobold Village 2. I guess I should name them, but I have no idea what.
      kobold_village02_003b.png
    • CommentAuthormike robel
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2020 edited

---------------------OberKobold

--------------------------------------NordKobold
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------Koboldander[rivername]
    West Kobold------------------Kobold--------------------OstKobold

---------------------UnterKobold

----------------------------------------------------------NeuKobold

-------------------------SudKobold
    • CommentAuthorWyvern

Try a search for "Fantasy RPG Kobold Names" Jim, or something similar. There are also various free place-name generators online, so with a bit of combination of both, you can probably come up with something suitable for relatively minimal effort.

For instance, the Fantasy Name Generators website has at least three Kobold name generators (personal, not place, but it's a start), and more place-name generators than I can count - try the Town & City name generators.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Sounds good, I'll look them up when I can.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2020 edited

It was a Village named Moo. They raise Cattle. I say Moo.
      Moo_villagearea01_011b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2020

Zosh town. Why wooden palisades for gates ?

When the gate to a town has no one person who can override the construction committee. Months after the arguing started, someone just put up the wooden palisades.

Quite likely the construction committee never noticed.
      Zosh_villagearea01_004b.png
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2020

As an alternative, you could go with "Shazoo" for "Moo". Not sure why? See this video extract from Family Guy...
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Mooball is what I suggest, with statues of cows everywhere. 3:)
    • CommentAuthorJimP

You two are telling jokes again, I can tell.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2020 edited

The village they call, Bell.

I wanted to draw Bell-shaped walls, but I couldn't pull it off. So I went with square. I used different wall segments for my Bell-shaped attempt.
      Bell_villagearea01_016b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2020

One of the ruins near The Small Wood. I went for minimal as these ruins are from the past far enough back that the locals have no idea who built them. What happened to the inhabitants, nor who attacked them.
      yonder_spring_ruins01_0003b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2020

The other ruins near The Small Wood and Yonder Pond.
      yonder_spring_ruins02_0003b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2020

I am a bit worn out due to having to replace the alternator belt on my car... I apparently drove several miles home last Friday on just the battery. Wheee !

Anyway, partially done replacing it. Heat outside did me no good, but I did drink plenty of water.

I hope to be mapping soon again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2020

You're a far more handy man than me Jim, I would have had to send it to a garage to have it fixed.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2020

My relative is doing the work, I'm just holding the flashlight.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2020

Heheheee That's the way to get things done, Jim! :D
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2020

Got it all done. Car runs fine now. Hopefully mapping more before the weekend.

Wednesday already ?!
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2020

Well, I kinda started out using Ferraris style, but added other elements to it. I very much like the arable land texture. This map is smaller than the pdf suggests. Maybe in future I'll make a map of an entire area using just this style. Other bits used are SMC walls and towers. CA158 vari-color compass rose and CA25 scale bar.

Bee Hill.

Well, a large colony of honey bees live there. The farmers are glad of them as they pollinate these fields.

Why are there no guard towers like the other arable land ?

Many years ago, kobolds attacked via this read and field. The bees saw their favorite gardner killed by some large beings. He had been kind to them, getting them water and planting flowers when their water supply had dried up. The other field hands gave report that they distinctly heard small trumpets being sounded. The guards on the walls didn't hear them.

But the bees in Bee Hill did. They attacked the kobolds who never attack this town using this direction ever again.

A traveling druid did communicate with the bees on behalf of the town. Both the bees and the town resolved to come to each other's aid in all such future events.

The field hands, and two adventurers, did convince some bears to leave the bees alone. Find their honey elsewhere.

All has been quiet on this side of town for years.
      shoro_town01_021b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2020

Maps left to do: rest of Keeper Tower including basement, maybe an area below that. 2) Forest Tower and area 3) Out Stretched Tower and area, 4) 4 shops in Bell; general store, storage, repair shop for shoes boots and armor, food items like bread and cheese 5) area of Desolate Fens 6) General store in Zosh 7) General Store within Keeper Tower walls 8) general store in Wrelna Town 9) Dungeon City surface entrance

Then go through all of this and fix any problems, add/subtract symbols, work on them overall, and the upload the multiple zip files. Oh, and type up separate text files for each one.
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2020 edited

Having been thinking "insects" in recent weeks, I like the tale of Bee Hill!

Maybe add a couple of other labelled/marked points of interest in Shoro Town though, Jim? An inn perhaps, and a store or two, say? And possibly the town leader's home/civic building?
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2020

These are mostly preliminary maps, with details to be made later. I want to get them all started, then go back and look at mistakes and suggestions.

Several towns are getting general stores, repair shops, etc.

If I got my list of all maps for this set written down, its looking like 28 to 30 maps total.
    • CommentAuthorWyvern

That makes sense, but with so many maps, it's easy to lose track. Maybe you need a map to find your way through the maze of maps? ;)
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I have a handy dandy clip board with a yellow pad of paper on it for my notes.

I did make two large area maps, with many of the smaller areas marked with a symbol and a name.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2020

A preliminary map of the Forest Tower. Roads, paths, and additional building names at a later date.
      forest_tower01_0011b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Had an idea for the pond, so added it before I forgot.

Effects need work.
      forest_tower01_0014b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP

A general General Store. This will be the basis of the three general stores in this set of maps.
      general_store01_0010b.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2020 edited

Posted By: JimPA general General Store.
    Can't get much more general than that :)

The buildings in that map do look a bit weirdly lined without any apparent reason, especially given all that open space near the road.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2020

Yeah, my computer was a bit wonky on Monday. I'll try redoing the buildings. I presume you mean the Forest Tower map ?
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2020 edited

The Desolate Fens. Small ruins and towers to help defend them. Only village left has a wooden palisade around it. These folk gather peat, dry it, and then sell to nearby villages, towers, and castles as winter fuel for cooking and heating.

forgot to add some text.

Late at night, especially when there is no moon, travelers near the fens can hear howls in the distance, or the wind whispers tales of death and horror.

The last village doesn't show lights at night. The others did, and they were attacked and are no more.

Tales of coins and various magical items abound about the ruined towers. Those who go there to look, never come back.
      desolate_fens01_0008b.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2020

A scary place, Jim!
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2020

Yes indeed.

And here is another tower/village area. Out Stretched Tower, out there by itself. So it is somewhat self sufficient.
      outstretched_tower01_0015b.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

No place to dangerous for the Tax Collector to make his visit :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP

True.

But this Castle/fort could be compromised. The corners are heavily defended, but not the rest of the walls. Maybe they think the corners are the most vulnerable ?