Fractal dungeon designs.

Hi,

After a desire to move from scanned maps to self created ones for my little gaming group, I ended up buying CC3 and DD3 yesterday. So far it has been interesting with lots of future possibilities (when I learn alot more).
I've looked at the video tutorials, which helped a lot and found the great tool of multipoly. :)
I'm struggling abit however by first creating fractal walls, then copying them and then multipolying to create a floor. It seems to work if I use solid as a fill style, but if I use a bitmap like "stone grey flat" I get results as seen in the attached image with missing parts or an empty line somewhere. Is there a way to fix this, or an easier way to create fractal corridors and rooms?

The attached image is my starting attempt to recreate the a dungeon from Wizard's Red Hand of Doom adventure. Since it's carved out of stone the fractal walls give a better feel I thought.

Another question I have is that sometimes the floor seems to go above the walls even though both are specified to their correct layers. Any thoughts on what I might've done wrong?

Thanks alot.

-Leonal

Comments

• edited May 2009
    Ow. Another multipoly victim.

Multipoly is only the last resort and can be tricky.

I recommend you use a "simple" fractal poly instead or the LineToPath/PathToPoly commands (right click dynamite to access). Multipoly should only be used if you have "holes" or "islands" in your shape, and even then, it's better to draw the island on the (nonmulti)poly. Multipolies are also the only solution to include arcs in a "polygon".

Better yet, use a drawing tool (click on the hammer and pen icon... or is it hammer and chisel?)

What you see can be caused by
    i) duplicate lines (use the keyboard only command DELDUPS a select all, it will erase all the duplicates. Great command, that DELDUPS :))
    ii) gaps in the path.
  • edited May 2009
    Thanks for the quick reply.^^

Seems I also had a fractal poly bug, but this solution worked after making a new map. http://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=516

Ah, the drawing tool was great! Fractal cave was rather quick. To make the wall I'd still have to copy the shape and change it to a wall, or? (Found out I could add an outline when drawing, solved^^)