Is this how you depict an elevator shaft?

I'm creating a little mine to explore at the moment and built an elevator. Now I'm not quite sure how to connect the two floors. I tried dotted lines and it looks okay. But I'm wondering if there's a way to make it look a bit more elegant.

Also, my wife took a glance at the map and said "turn it 90°. Elevators go down, not sideways." She has point... but is it even possible to turn a whole map?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Rotating the whole map is simply using Rotate image on all entities in the map in one operation. I prefer to right click and use the non-visual rotate for such operations.

Depicting a shaft always gets a weird when you try to connect two floors that are basically in the same plane. I would have considered adding a miniature perspective version of the relevant section, showing how they are above each other and connect.
  • @Mateus: Thank you !

@Monsen: Thanks! I think I'll finish the map as is and then turn it in the end and see which version looks better. A perspective version is probably a good idea, but I'm not sure how to do one. I can't draw squat and do not own the perspectives addon yet. Not sure if it is worth buying for the occasional cross-section like this.
  • Merion: Given you don't have Perspectives, I don't think you need a true perspective drawing here (that is, an isometric view of the two levels and how they relate to each other), as a simple cross-section diagram would work just as well, and is much easier to draw.

I'm not sure why the map levels would need rotating, or indeed connecting in the way you currently have it, since it looks as if what you have is a standard top-down plan-view map showing two vertically-separated levels on a single drawing. The usual connector mechanism would be a key of some kind for the features at the top and bottom of the shaft, the key possibly separate to the map if you're needing to use the map for tabletop use as well.

If the players might need an idea of where they are partway up or down the shaft - if there could be sub-levels accessible from the shaft, say - I'd just add a cross-sectional view as well.
  • If you are printing the map out, you just rotate it to the attitude you need to fit the table. Of course, you can have an arrow marked "UP"
  • A little late, but here is how I did it for Dwarf Home.

The letters are corridors, numbers are rooms. the x- items are debris, etc.