Old map of Iron Haven (John Roberts style)

A few people have seen this map already but I thought I would post it again since the John Roberts style is now available to everyone. This is an example of what you can do with it. Iron Haven is a city I was working on for a proposed campaign. I might build a campaign just around this city independent of the world I am working on now. As you can see it is laid across a wide river and a lot of industry appears to be going on. :)

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I don't think I've seen it before.

That's a very pretty map :)
  • My maps look so pedestrian compared to everyone else's. :)
    Oh no, Mike!

Yours have a different purpose. They wouldn't work properly if they weren't made the way they are, and they are just as beautiful in a different way :)
  • Mike from what I saw your maps are far from pedestrian. You are bringing elements into making your maps that most of us don't even touch. Iron Haven was an experiment on making a fantasy city. You are creating a very detailed map based on real world mechanics, at least that is what it looked like to me. That is a big project and you should be proud of what you have done. I though it looked great!
  • Kev: The difference is many of you create the world out of your head. I trace a map. Since I failed lines, coloring, and penmanship in kindergarten, that is a testing process. If you saw a close up of the base map with my "tracing" on top of a road or contour line, you see it wander all over the place. I simply do not have the patience to make sure I hit the center of the line/outline I am tracing. The skill for me is knowing what features to leave out and/or adjust for manual wargaming. many people like to see rivers on the hex edge, roads from center to center, and easy to interpret elevations that do not place small portions in an adjacent hex. I do as little as possible to adjust those features because I think they should pretty much just be where they are.

Having sniveled about all of that, I am usually pretty happy with my finished products and the terrain they represent. And people buy my games/maps, so there is a slight reward. :)
    People wouldn't buy them if they weren't any good, Mike :)
  • True. I'm generally happy with how they turn out and I slowly get better. What more can anyone ask?
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    Always loved that style, and you made a hell of a city.

BUT

The textures tiles kills it, imho. If i decide to spend some time on this style, id change all the textures.
  • edited April 2020
    <blockquote><cite>Posted By: Medio</cite>Always loved that style, and you made a hell of a city.

BUT

The textures tiles kills it, imho. If i decide to spend some time on this style, id change all the textures.</blockquote>

I have considered doing that myself. I think the textures in this map, if you are talking about the land textures and background, are a balance between the bitmaps you might see from one of the vector type styles vs. the more photo like textures you see in the battlemap offerings. But I might be mistaken about what you are referring too.
    I like them. They go nicely with the buildings :)
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    Posted By: kevbeck43
    Posted By: MedioAlways loved that style, and you made a hell of a city. BUT The textures tiles kills it, imho. If i decide to spend some time on this style, id change all the textures.
    I have considered doing that myself. I think the textures in this map, if you are talking about the land textures and background, are a balance between the bitmaps you might see from one of the vector type styles vs. the more photo like textures you see in the battlemap offerings. But I might be mistaken about what you are referring too.
    My biggest issue is the tiling, you can really see the tiles on the texture, giving a not too good looking, at least on my eyes. TBH, i think i could fix it with PS but for every map, the right thing would be doing it with the textures themselves so every map wouldnt suffer it.

Maybe ill try it later.
  • Bitmap scaling is a pain for me. Sometimes I get it to work well, and sometimes I cannot.
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    I remember i tried tile scaling and results were not satisfactory either. As i said, maybe one of these days i will work this out...