A couple of questions on borders...

A couple of questions about borders and making symbols. I made a celtic knot border symbol catalog with a couple of symbols in it. The nature of the knots though means that they have to be placed in just the right way for them to connect. The way it is right now its nearly impossible to avoid border overlap making the symbols look funky at certain points. Is their a way to set this up so they connect better? Also are there any symbols in the annuals I could not find that would work for a border like a celtic knot. I own them all. Thanks. I don't have FSC for the catalog right now but I can add it later if that would help.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Are you talking connecting symbols, or just "regular" symbols here?

And are these vector or raster symbols? Raster symbols can be slightly difficult to line up properly, because pixels unfortunately can't be subdivided, which sometimes work poorly when CC3+ lies them out on screen in anything but 100% size of the image.

In any case, it is important to make the symbol length match up exactly with the snap grid, anything else is going to make things difficult to handle.

You have looked at the borders annual, right?
  • Actually Monsen I had no idea that existed! The annual I mean. I really need to take another look at everything I have. :) I am doing vector symbols. I'm not going to mess with raster. What I was thinking I could do would be to take a section of the border, cut out a piece of it, define that section as a symbol and make it connecting. In my mind that seems like it would work.
  • Posted By: kevbeck43Actually Monsen I had no idea that existed! The annual I mean. I really need to take another look at everything I have. :) I am doing vector symbols. I'm not going to mess with raster. What I was thinking I could do would be to take a section of the border, cut out a piece of it, define that section as a symbol and make it connecting. In my mind that seems like it would work.
    That is how I solved my problem. In one map my decorative brder did not match my map no matter how much I toyed with it. So I used the "brute force" hahahaha