Fractal Terrains 3 export options to end with a STL File

Hi,

I've just purchased CC3+ and Fractal Terrains 3, so I'll get into using them very soon.
Thinking ahead, one option I would like is to export a Fractal Terrains 3 model of a World and make it into a STL file for 3D printing the globe/planets I make.

I see, reading the essentials PDF for Fractal Terrains 3 it can export in VRML and KMZ formats.
Some Googling shows that it should be possible to convert these files from VRML or KMZ into a STL file.

I don't mind trying out, but I thought I would see first if someone has already done this and what was the best method?
Even if its not a 2 Step process, happy to do more steps.
If someone has gone through the pain of trial and error and got a result, please share with me on this post.

I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of making a nice 3D printed model of a World you've made into a nice 5 inch or 8 inch Globe.
I've seen ones printed of this for the Moon and Earth etc and the surface texture is pretty good.
So being Fractal based and creating 3D geometry, height maps etc I think Fractal Terrains 3 should be able to do this.

Been a lurker for some time now, this virus made up my mind to spend the money on the software as I may have 3 months at home with no job the rate its going.
So best not to be bored to death!
Thanks in advance for any replies.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Well, I've done some things with FT3 and CC3, but I've never tried anything like that since I don't have (and probably never will have) a 3D printer.

So I'm watching this thread with great curiosity :)
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Nothing I am familiar with either, but both the VRML and KMZ exports are made by exporting a flat image from FT3, so even if it is usable in those formats, you won't have any height data available, which is kind of required for 3D printing. I am pretty sure thinking of going that way is just a dead end.

You'll probably be better off exporting it as a height map from FT3, and then use a 3D-modeeling package of some description to wrap this height map around a sphere, and from there hopefully be able to export it as an STL.
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    You should be able to use a height map to generate an STL file as Monsen suggested.

One term that you might want to search for is "spherical lithophane" or "globe lithophane". You'd want one with the bumps on the outside and without the chimney holes, but the idea is a good starting point that's fairly well supported by a lot of software.
  • Awesome, thanks for the tips.

Looks like I will be the first one to try this out then.
    Will post back when I have some results.
  • edited April 2020
    It looks like another option might be outputting a file format with height readable data that works with Wilbur (will have to look that up, not used that software) is a starting point.
    I'll see what Wilbur can do with it after that, hopefully Wilbur can then export into something that can convert to a STL file.

Otherwise, yes I'll have to find some CAD software that can do the 'wrap' using height data file.

EDIT:
    Looks like with the PNG, RAW or MDR file formats they need to be LOSSLESS to ensure all height data is maintained.
    Any views on what height data format is the best to ensure no or very few artifacts?
    I know this will result in a cleaner STL file at the end of the day in principle.
  • I came across this Python script on Thingiverse that converts direct from a height map in grey scale to a STL file.
    Geodesic Spherical Lithophane
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2811616

It looks like, with some editing of his script (i'll have learn python now!), you can change the diameter, source image etc.
    He used an image with height map information from here:
    https://asterweb.jpl.nasa.gov/gdem.asp
    PNG file format, grey scale

So, if I were to use a custom image from Fractal Terrain 3 - I would record the diameter of the planet I setup and play with final sphere diameter to scale
    OR
    Just let it make a 120mm sphere, but then re-scale the STL to then be scaled to 'Earth' for whatever diameter of planet I make.

Here is an extract of what this script can do;
    In the Python script itself you can modify a couple of things;
    1. The outer diameter of the sphere
    2. The number of subdivisions of the geodesic object, starting at 10 pixels around the equator for a frequency of 1, this number can be increased e.g. to about 2000 pixels around the equator for a frequency of 200
    3. The thickness of the wall for the black portions of the mapped image
    4. The depth of the carving from the outside in
    5. The depth of the carving from the inside out
    6. The filename of the image to be carved out of the wall of the sphere

Noting that you can make it outside in, or inside out.
    I would go outside in for what I want to do, but inside out would be interesting if you say put a light source in there.

I'll keep researching this, but I have one solution worth exploring now.
  • Something maybe worth keeping in mind:
    In short - earth is flat
    Not in the meaning that it is a plane.
    It is of course a sphere but with a rather polished or smooth surface (when making a model true to scale).
    Imagine making a 3D model of our earth with a diameter of e.g. 12,75 meters.
    Mount Everest would "rise" 8,8 millimeters above sea level.*
    So when making a true to scale model that is 12 cm in diameter, earth highest mountain is about 0,08 mm high...
    That is why almost every map or model presented has exaggerated height values for making the landscapes more dramatic and not flat.
    Almost every map that shows a shaded version of e.g. Olympus Mons - the highest mountain in our solar system - uses exaggerated height values. Otherwise the mountain would appear nearly flat...not looking sensational :)
    *I hope I got the right values so late in the evening...
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    Posted By: WeathermanSwedenIn short - earth is flat.
    Proportionally, the earth is smoother than a billiard ball.
  • edited April 2020
    Posted By: jslaytonProportionally, the earth is smoother than a billiard ball.
    Thank you Joe,

that is exactly the comparison I did not come up with last night :)

/André