World of Terranos

Greetings,

I'm posting a copy of my first map for a novel I'm in the process of writing. I've actually been writing it for almost three years, and it's spread over eight full-size novel length volumes. As everyone on this forum clearly realizes, you can't write a book about a fictional world (or game) without providing your readers (users) some reference points on where things are. It just doesn't work. You also can't expect, reasonably, to hand a publisher nearly two million of written words and ask him or her to go find someone to make a map. So, here I am.

Some limited background:
Our world was nearly destroyed 3,000 years before the story begins by a large space object--exactly what isn't important, but it did a number on the planet and killed billions of people, perhaps trillions. The object would have completely destroyed Earth but for a large, powerful and complex shield that managed to deflect most of it away, leaving only large fragments that gouged huge chunks in the land and sea. All advanced civilizations ended that day with the impact, as did much of the planet's resources. The complex shield network was battered and smashed and destroyed in many places, but somehow managed to sustain life and help the world rebuild. Three thousand years later, pre-industrial level civilizations have appeared and more troubles begin.

Little is known by the current inhabitants of Terranos, and even the history of the Dark Star and the powerful shield is relegated to myth and the occasional mysterious event.

Attached is the world level map of Terranos, from which I intend to develop continent or regional level maps in more detail. Sadly, I don't expect to use a ton of the outstanding symbology provided by CC3+, but I will use some!

I know that this map is pretty plain and simple compared to what many have done, and I welcome suggestions from any and all on improving it. Disclaimer: I am trying to write more than map! ;-)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/suggestions.

GW1230 (aka Travis Elmore)

Comments