New CC3 User - A couple of questions

I'm relatively new to campaign cartographer. I watched the tutorial videos, but am having some troubles. Some appear to be technical issues related to the installation of the most recent patch, others are obviously related to my newness.

First: When I first installed the program everything worked fine. However, since installing the patch every time I switch symbol sets the program asks what style I want to use, the map also redraws every time I select a new symbol set, and when I select a specially colored symbol it looks like the default color until I actually click the map. Not sure what changed. Maybe I need to uninstall and reinstall everything?

Second: I don't know how to clip the edges of the map. Does this happen automatically when I export the map as an image? For instance, I have symbols and contours running well outside the drawing canvas. The contours so the fades don't creep into the edges of the map, the symbols just for consistency.

Third: I can't figure out how to draw a filled polygon without using the contour tool. I'm sure its something simple, but when I select fill style solid, or bitmap fill, or whatever, and use the polygon tool I always just get an outline. I'm trying to make an inland lake, and I just can't get it to work.

I've tried reviewing the manual and searching the help file, but am having trouble figuring out what I'm doing wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• 1st : Don't know

2nd : no the map does not clip. If you have symbols outside the map border, they will stay outside the map border.
    Some drawing tools are limited to the map border (default land and such) but if you place something else outside it will keep outside. I know that sometimes, when you draw a regional map for instance, symbols spread over the border. I only have two answers for that : erase the symbol or draw a thick white border outside the border, on a sheet that goes over symbols.

3rd : your line width is probably not set to zero. If the line thickness is positive, the fill style applies to the line "body".
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    edited May 2009
    1. I'd first try to do a repair install of Patch 7. Also try a new map to see whether the problem is related to the new map only.

2. I usually simply draw a white screen around the map (on the topmost sheet). Many of the newer templates have this already included.

3. Like Joachim said.
  • Posted By: Ralf2. I usually simply draw a white screen around the map (on the topmost sheet). Many of the newer templates have this already included.
    Yes, that's what I meant with my white over-border. Thanks for clarifying...
  • Thanks for your help. I'll try some of your suggestions for the first issue. It really has bogged down the time, because the constant redrawing really slows me down.

I think a thick "edge fade" type of border around the edge of the map would work nicely. I hadn't considered it.

I was unaware about the line thickness issue. Thanks a bunch for that. It was really driving me up a wall.