Setting sheet and layer in macro-based text drawtools

Hey all, so I have these drawtools which are used to create text with specific formatting, size, etc. There's a different tool for each kind of text depending on if it's for a small town or a large city or a river or lake, etc. The tools work by activating a macro which sets the text size, the font, and etc.

When I activate one of these drawtools, the layer changes to the correct layer that I want for that specific drawtool - so if I activate "Text Lakes", the "Text Lakes" layer is selected as the text entry window appears. But the sheet doesn't change. Whatever sheet was active before I activated the drawtool, remains active. So in most cases, if I activate one of these text tools without remembering to manually change the active sheet, the text will end up on the wrong sheet.

For all of these text tools, the drawtool itself has the appropriate layer selected, and the sheet "TEXT" selected. The macros that are used by the tools don't have anything about a sheet or layer at all.

Is there a way - by either changing a setting in the drawtool, or adding commands to the macro itself - to make it so that both the current layer AND current sheet can be dictated by these macros/tools, so that both sheet and layer will be correct when I use one without having to manually change them on each use? Thanks!

Comments

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Unfortunately the sheet part of the drawing tools does not apply if nothing is actually drawn by the tool (to see it kinda work check the "apply macro after drawing" option for the tool). But you can set the Text to always go on the TEXT sheet globally, under File > Drawing Properties. If you enter TEXT* there for the text sheet, it should work like you are trying to do.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    You can also change the sheet from the macro itself.The command GOSHEET sheetname switches to the specified sheet, and creates it if it doesn't exist, while SSET sheetname switches to the specified sheet if it exists, and silently fails otherwise.
    The only disadvantage by doing this is that you cannot return to the active sheet before using the tool automatically.
  • CielCiel Traveler
    Aha, thanks for the info Ralf and Monsen! I figured that there would be a Macro command and I just didn't know what it was. I'll keep all this in mind and decide if I want to use one of those Macro commands since it would mean having to make sure to switch the sheet back after. Thanks!