Problem with doors

I'm having a problem in DD3. When I add a door it is supposed to erase the underlying wall, but it does not. What am I doing wrong?

I also have a little glitch in that when ever I try to use the arc button it gives me the create circle button that is right next to it. Any solutions? It is making the print on a line function really awkward to use since I have to use the pltted line and I can't seem to get a clean arc.
Octorilla

Comments

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    1. Are you using the correct door catalog? There are cutting and non-cutting versions. Also make sure your walls are actually on the WALLS layer, and that is not frozen.

2. Try running CC3COnfigMenu.exe from the CC3 folder. Does that fix the arc button? What happens if you right-click the button?
  • 3 months later
  • Sorry, I have been away for awhile. Thank you for taking the time to reply. I will try these suggestions out when I get a chance.
  • 5 years later
  • Any results on this? I am having the exact same problem with the doors. I am using the Jon Roberts Dungeon download set. I used the doors and about the first 30 or so cut the walls just fine. Then all the sudden they just stopped cutting the walls. I am brand new to Campaign Cartographer and Dungeon Designer (This is my second map). I think I checked the layers and the sheets and everything appears to be set appropriately. Any ideas?
    Octorilla
  • Also, I just went through the Table of Contents and the index of the Campaign Cartographer manual and I don't see anything about a status of "frozen". How do I check that and correct it if that is the problem?
  • I created a new wall on the same map and was able to cut the new wall with the new door. So, it looks like it is some property of "frozen" or a layer change or "like" or sheet problem... but when I checked out the new wall and all the other walls (that I can't cut with a door) I am not seeing a difference between them.
    Octorilla
  • I checked all the details and my walls were on the "wall features" layer. So, I changed all their layers to "walls". But that didn't help. So I changed all their layers to the "Game Master Only" layer (as that layer was completely empty) to use as a background to trace new walls from. I then switched to the walls sheet and the walls layer and redrew the new walls over the "Game Master Only" walls. I then deleted all the Game Master Only walls. Now I tried to add doors to the new walls but again the doors were not cutting the walls. This is weird to me because before I did all this I was able to create a new wall and the doors were cutting the walls. I just added a new wall and the door cut this new wall, but not all the other walls that I just created that were traced over the old walls/layers. I'm still working though this with everything that I can come up with but still not able to solve this. Any help would be appreciated.

Also, in this process I have turned off all "Frozen" status in the layers menu. That is the only place i could find a status of frozen. So, assuming that the layers panel is the only place for a "frozen" status... then that isn't the problem.
    Octorilla
  • Well... I figured out at least one of the problems (there may be more than one problem). From everything I can figure out and read... it's a bug in CC3/DD3. I CAN reproduce the problem consistently. The bug is that when I draw a building, lets say a square building for the sake of example, there ends up being one of the sides that has the joint of the wall where the start and the end of the walls meet to make the square. If that side is the North side of the building then your FIRST door can not be on the North side of the building because the door will not cut the wall. You can however put your first door on one of the other three sides and then put a door on the North side successfully. If my joint was on the side of the only door that I intended to create for the building then I was unable to place the door with it cutting the wall as it was supposed to do. I was intentionally starting and stopping my wall joints exactly where I was going to place a door to cover up the seem that seems to be left. That logic, with the bug, prevented me from correctly placing my doors.

I suppose that you could start and stop your buildings on the corners but that joint becomes very obvious and a little mis-shapen in the end product.

I am extremely surprised that this bug has not been previously identified and corrected as long as CC3/DD3 has been out. For me, it seemed like a huge bug that put me 24 hours behind schedule. I hope a fix for this comes out soon. Until then the workaround is to pre-plan your walls to not start and end them on the side that you might have your only door.

Hope this helps others with this problem.
    Octorilla
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    This is indeed a but of a weird bug, and I can reproduce it sometimes but not 100%. If it happens, the door will cut the wall "the wrong way around", ie the piece beneath the door is kept and all the rest of the wall is cut away. Is that what you see?

If yes, this workaround seems to work for me: Place the door, cutting the wall the wrong way. Then UNDO and redo placing the door. This works for me everytime.

I cannot reproduce that the doors are not cutting at all, either in DD3 or in the John Roberts dungeon style, they seem to work fine. Note that the walls NEED to be on the WALLS layer for it to work, the control points are set up to only work on that layer to avoid cutting floors and other entities.

Please send me (ralf@profantasy.com) a sample where your problem occurs and I'll take a closer look.
  • Let me get caught up on this project I am working on and then I will help with reproducing and finding the cause of this problem.
  • ScoobyRexScoobyRex Newcomer
    edited October 2014
    OK. I am Caught back up for the moment. I Still get consistent results but I will try a few different ways of creating the walls and see if I can make it not happen consistently. I will try and draw using test how I make the walls here:

```````-

```````--
    ````````|

```````--
    ````````|
    ````````|

```````--
    ````````|
    ````````|
    ````````-

```````--
    ````````|
    ````````|
    ````------

```````--
    ````````|
    ```|````|
    ````------

```````--
    ```|````|
    ```|````|
    ````------

```-```--
    ```|````|
    ```|````|
    ````------

````------
    ```|````|
    ```|````|
    ````------

I drew this with text just in case my description wasn't clear. Please excuse how hard this text drawing is to decipher. I tried to draw it with spaces but the Forum collapsed down all the spaces and made it completely unusable. I replaced the spaces with "`" which makes it very hard to see what I was trying to portray but at least it keeps the formatting correct. Just pay attention to the "-" and the "|" and you should be able to see what I am doing.

Assuming that the top is North, then I was unable to cut the door on the North side if it was my first door/cut.

I will continue testing though.
  • 7 months later
  • DigiartstDigiartst Traveler
    I ran into this problem, it all depends how you make yours wall, but I have found a fix. Use explode on your walls when you run into a door that does not work right. It has worked for me. Explode makes the wall sections break into individual sections at the corners, and that seems to fix the cut problems.
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited May 2015
    Make sure your walls are on the wall sheet and wall layer. When I do that, I get better results on doors that cut walls.

edit:
    Note that there is a non-cutting wall doors symbol set.

I meant to type 'Note' not 'Not'.
  • crashmikecrashmike Newcomer
    hm ... i had the same Problem a few days ago - but i deactiveted snap and grid - than i did well ;)
    Octorilla
  • 6 years later
  • Was there ever an answer to this that actually worked? I have tried and have the same issue using dungeons of schley. occasionally the double doors will cut the wall and very rarely a regular door will cut the wall.

In general though the doors dont cut the wall.

Unless I am doing something the settings and layers seem to be the same as for the wood double door (which worked eventually) and the sinble wood door (which rarely has worked)?

Thank you,

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

Hi Octorilla :)

This is quite an old thread, so my approach to solving your problem may not seem to relate very well to the things helpers used to say about doors and walls higher up the thread, because the app has come a long way in all those years.

First, can I ask how you drew the walls?

Door and window symbols are usually cutting symbols these days (though you can still find those which don't cut). They cut, but they only work on lines drawn on the WALLS sheet and layer to prevent them from cutting anything else (like the floor, or any other polygon that just happens to be there). The special wall and room drawing tools found at the top of the left toolbars will automatically place walls on the correct sheet and layer so they will be cut by the cutting door and wall symbols, but if you use any of the primitive drawing tools on the right toolbar it is a matter of sheer luck if they end up on the correct sheet and layer.

No problem if that is what has happened. You can move the walls to the correct sheet and layer using the Change Properties tool on the left toolbar.

Octorilla
  • Hi Sue,

It seemed like a similar problem so I thought it best to continue here but I perhaps I should have started a new thread.

Some walls were used as part of rooms but most were created using the wall tool. I use the buttons to select the walls and rooms (and occasional corridor).

I did try the following that did not work:

1. Right clicking on the Wall Features symbol to try to find cutting and non-cutting. There are no right button features when clicking on this.
    2. different door styles also such as DD3
    3. Using suggestions from above I redrew all the walls
    4. I tried the explode button but that doesnt seem to do it either

They generally, not 100% but most often seem to cut the wall on placement now that I have spent more time analyzing it bbut when doing a refresh the wall comes back under the doors. Unless I am severly mistaken (and I could be) the sheets and layers are fine.

on placement it looks like this usually (with Grid, Ortho, and Snap OFF)

on refresh it looks like this (with Grid, Ortho, and Snap OFF):

I tried several wall techniques and settled on this one:

Wall, Brick Grey, width one

The layers appear to be alphabetized so I dont think I can move them up or down like a sheet.

And my sheets looks like this (with added a sheet for door arrows, which I could probably change to something other than Symbols Wall):

The only thing I used the right hand tools for was to create some arrows. but they are not near where those doors are.

thank you for your time.

Thank you,

-Dave

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited February 2022

Hi Dave :)

Can you hide all the sheets except for the WALLS sheet, and then use List from the Info menu on the walls?

That will give you a blue window listing all the attributes of the wall(s) you picked, which will show you which layer they are on.

Cutting symbols usually have a red line with a tiny cross at either end - visible in the symbol catalogue pane.

Layers do not control the order of appearance, which is why the list of layers is alphabetical.

Sue

Octorilla
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

In addition to what Sue is writing above, check for double walls. When I look at the screenshots you post, the door is clearly cutting something, otherwise there wouldn't be a white rectangle there. And the wall fill pattern in the second image is offset from the first one, indicating that there seem to be two walls on top of each other there. (The wall cutting functionality only cuts one entity)

LoopysueOctorilla
  • Hello,

1. the blue screen from info menu shows they are all on walls with only Wall sheet not hidden
    2. i do not see the red line with tiny cross on the door symbols
    3. thank you for the info on layers
    4. there are quite a few double walls as it seemed much easier than what the manual described on how to get connection to work.
    5. The double wall issue, I had been thinking this previously but I did try an independent wall and it did not work. However with that said it did pull up a different color wall which is the default wall. When putting the door on the default wall it gave the darker color and then superimposed onto that darker color the color (lighter color) that I was using;

then when examining the door on that light color superimposed on dark color the door sat on top of the wall.

I then crafted a new wall just using the light color that I have been using (and I thought I did this several times previously) I am able to get the door to cut the new stand alone wall the way it is supposed to be.

if this is the fix (no double walls and only using the non-default wall my next question would be is there a way I can make all of my walls a single layer without a redo?

thank you,

-dave

• Interesting it only cuts the one entity rather than the sheet. Maybe this is my issue?

• OK, I think the following:

A> it has something to do with double walls and by pure chance I placed doors on areas that had double walls and areas that did not hence why it seemed erratic.

B> The default wall does not appear that it can be cut by the doors.

C> Is there a way to make the default wall a specific color, thickness and be able to be cut?

D> Is there a way to make all of my double walls a single wall/entity?

Sorry to be a pain. The help is very much appreciated. (long time customer of all versions, all the way back to first version, though could never figure out the older versions probably becasue I didnt dedicate enought time to understanding it).

TThank you Sue and Monsen!

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

You can change the default wall to be whatever you want. The Default Wall button just starts the drawing tool named Wall, Default. You can edit this to change the properties (advisable to make a copy of it first to preserve the original, but if you want to edit the tool that is used by the button, you of course have to edit the original, and just keep a copy under a different name as a backup). To make it cutable, all that is required is that it is on the WALLS layer. From your images, you are using SS4, and I don't seem to have a problem with doors cutting that wall though.

To make them into single walls, you need to do some manual work. Erase the entire wall (one of them) where there is a complete overlap, and use tools like Break to split and cut parts out of walls where you have a partial overlap and don't want to delete the whole length of the wall.

LoopysueOctorilla
  • Thank you (and I am amazed you saw there were layers of walls, also happy you spotted that), Hindsight I probably should have mentioned originally just didnt realize.