Cannot make a solid box

I've been in and out of CC3+ trying to do simple things, but the program is so insanely difficult to use that I regularly stop using it for months at a time because it is so frustrating.

Recently, I've been trying to place a solid box on a map to cover up terrain so I can place text upon the box so it can be read without the terrain interfering. However, I cannot under any circumstances, or through any means I have been able to attempt, create a solid box.

What should be a simple process of selecting line style: solid, fill style: solid, and drawing a simple box on the screen instead produces an outline of a box, with the fill style filling in the line, not the box. I have checked and unchecked every box, selected every possible variation of everything I can find, and yet i cannot create a simple, solid box on the screen.

I understand that there are tutorials on how to do a lot of things for CC3, but is are there tutorials for basic, simple things, like creating shapes, altering those shapes, placing one shape on the top of another shape, placing text on a shape, overlaying shapes on top of terrain, or other effects that would, in other programs require nothing more than selecting "box" and drawing a box on the map?

The frustration is outrageous, and it's driving me further and further from mapping. I want to create maps, but I spend more time wrestling with CC3 than I do actually mapping. Are there ANY resources that can help? Online classes? People who do interactive tutorials on Twitch? ANYTHING?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Set line width to 0.
    Any line width grater than zero creates a hollow shape with the outline width set by the current line width. Setting the fill style to Solid doesn't alter how the shape will be filled, it only affects how the parts of it that are to be filled will look (which in the case of a shape with a line width of greater than zero, means the fill of the outline)
  • I understand your frustration - CC3+ isn't the most userfriendly program. There are newer competitors with much slicker UI. But I haven't seen a more powerful program so far. So, it's kind of a tradeoff.

Anyway, these two youtube channels helped me get into the program by following some videos nearly to the letter:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6YZiP9vTmt8rEpraPEfrIg
  • Posted By: MonsenSet line width to 0.
    Any line width grater than zero creates a hollow shape with the outline width set by the current line width. Setting the fill style to Solid doesn't alter how the shape will be filled, it only affects how the parts of it that are to be filled will look (which in the case of a shape with a line width of greater than zero, means the fill of the outline)
    This did it. Thank you, Monsen!

I've also discovered that the best way to handle text on boxes is to create a sheet for the boxes which is separate from the text sheet. This allows me to hide the text and background in order to work with the boxes.
    Posted By: MerionI understand your frustration - CC3+ isn't the most userfriendly program. There are newer competitors with much slicker UI. But I haven't seen a more powerful program so far. So, it's kind of a tradeoff.
    It's been a struggle, even to create the simplest maps, but I do understand how powerful it is. This forum is one of the only places to find solutions to problems, and the people here are amazingly helpful. Unfortunately, I don't always know exactly what question to ask.

At any rate, thanks for the links. I'm familiar with Joe Sweeney and his videos are what got me started in the first place. I'll try to watch more of these and keep plodding along with the program.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: Jador13I've also discovered that the best way to handle text on boxes is to create a sheet for the boxes which is separate from the text sheet.
    Yea, that's preferable.
    Generally, you can never go wrong with adding additional sheets. Having individual sheets also lets you have different effects on the text than on the box.

Maybe the manual should contain some more of that basic stuff though. Right now, it is a bit focused on getting people into the actual mapmaking, and it skips some of these things. Technically, the question you originally asked is covered on page 40 of the manual, including showing the exact settings you need, but it isn't easy to find when you are looking for that detail in particular, as it is part of the larger tutorial, and it doesn't discuss what happens with different settings (such as the line width greater than 0)