Happy Pi Day!

Please enjoy my newest creation, a silly battlemap hastily cobbled together in honor of Pi Day 3/14.

This oddly shaped rocks make for a good camp site. There seems to be a never-ending line of numbers carved into the rocks, but it’s mostly faded. All you can make out it, that it starts with 314. Maybe this was a sacred place for an ancient civilization?

For all of you running a game today, you can get this freebie in high-res and gridless here:
https://www.patreon.com/posts/happy-pi-day-34862409

Comments

• 3.1415265 I think.

Anyway, hopefully we have some pie to celebrate with.
  • edited March 2020
    Thanks!

I tried to be creative with the grid and fiddled with the numbers, aiming for a 13,4 square count to add a little extra wink, but had to stop for time reasons. So that's why the grid ends so oddly to the top and right.

But while we're at it, I'll go fishing for a bit more expertise from the veterans ;-)
    You see, for a quick side project I'm quite satisfied how it turned out. The only gripe I have is the green grass background. It's too... homogeneous, too obviously a tiled bitmap. It's Grass_004, if you haven't recognized it already. Is there a way to make it look more natural? How do you do these things? Create several polygons with slightly different fill styles and blend them with sheets? Or what's the silver bullet for this problem?
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited March 2020
    Lovely and cosy and safe :)

Or do I have the wrong idea?

Nice map, anyway.

There are lots of different grass fills you can pick from the standard DD3 sets, or find in the Third party Vintyri assets.

The secret of preventing either a homogenous background by using a very flat texture like that one, or a background with lots of 'redundancy' by using a much busier texture that makes lots of brain-stressing patterns, is to use at least 2 different sheets to 'mix' irregular patches of two similar but different grass textures using an edge fade inner sheet effect on the upper one.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Create several polygons with slightly different fill styles and blend them with sheets?
    Basically, yes. You can also use the various transparent fills (solid xx and solid white xx) to create darker and lighter areas, giving the illusion of height changes and bumpy terrain. Adding things like small patches of flowers and other symbols also break the monotony. Sometimes, I use patches of the exact same fill, but scaled differently.
  • Thanks you both, those tipps sound really good. I'm certainly going to try them out for the next battlemap I'm planning.