Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorroy.denton
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2020 edited

I am continuing my work on an updated Harnic style and working on trees and bushes now.

These are the symbols I am using for this and the fills I have completed for now. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

They are: Tree and bush symbols; light scrub; dense scrub; coniferous forest; deciduous forest; mixed forest.
      Trees.JPG
      Light Scrub.JPG
      Dense Scrub.JPG
      Coniferous Forest.JPG
      Deciduous Forest.JPG
      Mixed Forest.JPG
    • CommentAuthorroy.denton
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2020

I am wondering out loud here.

While the scrub would usually be made up of many types of bushes the forest may be less varied. I used only four different symbols for this.

Should I consider the following for the forests?

Consider using only one or two types of coniferous trees for that fill, I used three?

Consider doing the same, or maybe up to five different types for the deciduous trees?

For the mixed forest, instead of 7 deciduous and three coniferous trees consider 4 and 1 (or 2) in the same order?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Best option is probably just try all the options on a large area and see what you like best. Difficult to advice what's best just from the numbers.
    • CommentAuthormike robel

Look to see what type of vegetation exist near you. Pine, Live Oak, Mangroves are common in Florida, plus some other stuff that I forget. In the plains, Cottonwood, Juniper, Willow. Aspen in the rockies.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Some parts of Central Texas have oak, cedar, and willow trees. Go just a few miles west and cacti with shrubs and trees are few and far between.
    • CommentAuthormike robel
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2020 edited

Google Earth is your friend for quick reconnaissance

Little Big Horn, Montana

Everglades, Florida

Cape Canaveral National Sea Shore

Hunfeld, Germany

Your three colorful ones look overly dense to me, but if you look at the Hunfeld shot not so much. The scrub in the other three seems to be fairly open, but you have to look around for yourself.

Google Earth zips you to your location unless you set some other default, so you can see how it looks from space and compare it to what you see on the ground.
      Scrub Little Bighorn.JPG
      Everglades FL.JPG
      Canaveral National Seashore.JPG
      Hunfeld Germany.JPG
    • CommentAuthorJimP

mesquite trees is what I was trying to think of earlier. They aren't tall, bushes really, with thorns on them that are very painful.