Maps within maps

Hi there,

I was wondering if it was possible to create a map where if I click on a particular town and it would zoom into a map of that town? Or say zoom in on a certain region and then see more detail on that region, but then also be able to zoom out to see the whole.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited March 2020
    Hi :)

You can hyperlink maps together so that you can jump from file to file and back again, but this is only within CC3.

If you are thinking more along the lines of having a zoomy map like Google Earth you may need to make a series of maps in CC3 at different scales, export them as bitmap images, and use them as the source files for one of those map tile apps.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    For an example of using hyperlinks, check out the community atlas.
  • <blockquote><cite>Posted By: Loopysue</cite>Hi :)

You can hyperlink maps together so that you can jump from file to file and back again, but this is only within CC3.

If you are thinking more along the lines of having a zoomy map like Google Earth you may need to make a series of maps in CC3 at different scales, export them as bitmap images, and use them as the source files for one of those map tile apps.</blockquote>

Awesome! Thank you so much!
  • <blockquote><cite>Posted By: Monsen</cite>For an example of using hyperlinks, check out the<a href="https://atlas.monsen.cc">community atlas</a>.</blockquote>

That's perfect, thank you so much!
    edited March 2020
    You're welcome :)

If you are wondering why your quotes aren't working on this forum you need to pick "HTML" at the bottom of the comment box ;)

Its normally set to "Text" by default.
  • Ah, I had wondered about that. Are there by any chance any online tutorials on how to do the hyperlinking? I found the Cartographer's annual issue where one was published but that was long before I even knew about CC3 and I really can't afford to buy it right now.
    edited March 2020
    If you go to the Tools menu you will find Hyperlinks there. There are two options - Link to map... or Link to file...

Whichever you pick you will then have to define the rectangular hotspot where the link is to be active in your map by clicking two opposite corners.

Then you get the chance to browse for the map or file you wish to hyperlink to. Once you have picked the right file or map the link will be created for you.

The hyperlink will be visible unless you decide to hide it by using Show or Hide hyperlinks from the View menu.
  • Well, if you're not afraid of javascript, you can have a look a leaflet. Leaflet is a 'real' mapping engine used for all sorts of web maps. It's open source and completely free and even has a basic tutorial for fictional maps: https://leafletjs.com/examples/crs-simple/crs-simple.html
    Another angle to go at this is described here: http://build-failed.blogspot.com/2012/11/zoomable-image-with-leaflet.html

If you have some affinity for web coding, it should not be too hard to set up a world map with map pins pointing to sub-maps.
    Not that I have done so, but I definitely thought about it. It's just, you know, ain't nobody got time for that ;-)