Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2020 edited

Try @Symbols\Maps\Other\Modern Mapping.fsc

Also note that if you just want to use a symbol you have in one map in another map, you can actually use the map as a symbol catalog. Simply hit the Open Symbol Catalog button, then in the File name field, type in *.fcw and hit enter. The dialog stays open, and when you navigate around, it will show map files instead of symbol catalog files. Now just pick a map, and see the symbols from it pop up in the symbol catalog window.
    Or if you don't like doing it that way, you can also rename your map file from map.fcw to map.fsc and then browse for it using the open symbol catalog button.
    • CommentAuthormike robel
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2020

I have added the text labels for the cities, major roads and waterways, and the mobility ratings for each hex. The two triangles at right center indicate the positions of OP Alpha, where the 1/11 ACR operated its observation post where platoons would go up for 3 weeks at a time to provide surveillance and rapid reaction force, one of the opposing East German border observation towers, and in between them is a memorial to a father/son pair who attempted to escape to the West.

The father got over fence, but the son set off one of the mines and fell back onto the East side. The father went back over to help his son. Meanwhile, bullets were hitting the OP and ammunition was being issued. The Border Guards grabbed the father and drug him off into the woods to the north a little bit (where there was also a dog run and a machine gun bunker), beating him as they went. They left the son behind. Deer and the wind would set the mines off. They also had mines in some of the border stones, and were supposed to have removed all of them from our side of the fence, but their side of the border.

At this point, the map is mostly finished. I will continue to refine the road and stream network, and also double check my mobility assignments. I have not applied any of the glow effect to the roads yet. That sort of thing will be done before I send it off to the printer.

I also want to convert the green forest to the more textured forest from CA 85, WWII mappings, if I can figure out how to bring it over. It does not seem to have the same effect when I just open the CA85 symbols in the symbol catalog.
      HIWAY 84.JPG
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

It's looking really great now :)

I'm still having trouble with that dark is high thing, but I guess I'll just have to live with it :)

Well, Sue. If you buy the game, I will make a special backwards edition for you. :)
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

LOL! The only games I have in my shoebox flat that's smaller than an average motor home are ones on my PC ;)

Might be a bit of a tight fit. I think you could make it work. Sometimes I think about getting a storage shed to play in so I don't have to worry about my wife's cats getting up on the board and wrecking havoc. The one I would buy looks like a barn and you can make them two stories. I'd get that and then build an observation deck/lounge on the upper story, with more storage in the roof. Then I sit quietly till the urge passes.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2020

It would probably be larger than my flat.

Unfortunately, I also have no garden either, so a shed wouldn't really fit the bill for me.
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2020

Here is a screenshot of my squadrons battle area at 1km resolution from a site called maps.army. A nice rendering, more like my first version because it does not show contours, but does have good detail.
      maps_army.JPG
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2020 edited

In case anyone is interested, and even if you are not, here are some shots of the US unit counters, their combat power values, and one of the status sheets player will use to keep track of their units. Note no values are on the counters to increase the fog of war, and you won't be able to tell how far gone the unit is from the counters during play.

Much is still in flux and development so there is not a 1:1 match between the three sheets. Units and values may vary.
      US Counters.JPG
      US CBT PWR.JPG
      Unit Status.JPG
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2020

Well, that's certainly quite complicated looking, but if you're modelling a real life situation then I guess it must have to be like that.

How did the simplification go? Or did you decide it was a bad idea?
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2020

Still working on it. For roads I turn off everything except roads and town. Increase the magnification so each hex is 6-10 cm, and go through the whole map from side to side a few rows at a time, looking for issues and unneeded rows. Finish that way then starting at bottom right, go up to the top, fixing issues as I go. Then go to top right and go right to left, etc. It's amazing what one find when limiting focus and changing direction.

Sometimes I have to zoom out and turn on the BMP to make corrections which restarts the whole process.

Repeat for rivers/streams, and the mobility ratings.

I probably will continue this till August or so when I start to hopefully send stuff out for production.
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2020 edited

OK. I need help for what I think is a simple task. Becoming increasingly frustrated.

I would like to import the Bitmap fills from either CA85 WWII Map or the CC3 Pro Overland maps.

From CC3 Pro Overland the Land Dark and Light Green.

From the CA85 WW II Map:

Forest Deciduous Transparent CA85
    Forest Deciduous Transparent
    Forest Pine Transparent CA85
    Forest Pine

When I do so i successfully import the WWII Map files using FIND Button and specifying the WWII Map.

Unfortunately When I draw it, it looks like the first picture below and of course I want it to look like the 2nd picture below.

I seem to be unable to import the CC3 Pro Overland settings into my map.

And then, I cannot figure out how to get rid of the BITMAP files I no longer want.

I'm not set on these, if someone thinks there is a better method to give the dang forests some texture.

Any help is appreciated.
      CA 85 Forest imported.JPG
      Drawn in CA 85.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2020

When I do so i successfully import the WWII Map files using FIND Button and specifying the WWII Map.
    Do you mean the find button in the fill style dialog? You can't specify maps here, you need to point to the actual image files for the fill.

If you want to import fill styles that exists in another map, the easiest way to do that is to use Draw --> Insert file and just browse to the file there. Once you have selected the file and clicked open, and you have the map at your cursor, you can just simply hit Esc immediately to stop placing it, since you don't actually want a copy in the map. The fill styles from that map will then have been imported.

Monsen,

I guess I am just not getting this.

What I want to do, and what I am sure I have done before, is insert the bitmap files (which I guess all really end in *.PNG as an insertable file), and bring them into my covering force map. Then using either Edit Properties and/or Change Properties, to click on a forest patch and change the solid green fill to say Forest Deciduous Transparent_CA85.

I opened my covering force map, selected the land sheet (cause there is nothing on it) hid everything else. Then used Insert File, then navigated to C:\ProgramData\Profantasy\CC3Plus\Bitmaps\Tiles\Modern\CA85 WW2Maps and selected open, then pushed escape, and check the import by using the drop down for the Fill Style. It is all pixelated. If I draw a smooth polygon, covering up most of the map, I get a blob with big squares.

If I do it again and instead of hitting escape, I draw the square (the only thing I can) I get the third picture.

Clearly there is something simple I am not doing.

Is there a way to delete the CA_85 tiles,files, symbols, whatever they are and start over?

I've attached the FCW.

RTFM does not help me either. I keep just making the same mistake.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

The insert file route is if you already have a map with the fill styles defined in it. (And as long as you want the fill styles from an existing map style, it is easy enough to start out by just making a blank map in that style first). It is not for picking individual texture files.

If you want to import the fills one by one, you can use the fill style dialog, but you wrote that you picked a map, and you can't do that in the fill style dialog, that can only be used to pick the individual .png files for the fill.

You can also insert a whole folder of fills by going to tools -> Import bitmap fill styles and pick any folder with .png fills in it. As long as you pick an existing folder with fills that came with CC3+, just specify the folder and click ok, don't check any additional options.

Well, I tried the "You can also insert a whole folder of fills by going to tools -> Import bitmap fill styles and pick any folder with .png fills in it. As long as you pick an existing folder with fills that came with CC3+, just specify the folder and click ok, don't check any additional options." option, navigated to the path C:\ProgramData\Profantasy\CC3Plus\Bitmaps\Tiles\Modern\CA85 WW2Maps, then clicked OK.

It said I had added 12 items. I selected smooth polygon, selected Forest Pine transparent_HI.PNG as the fill. And it worked. Then, after finally noticing the Delete button, i removed the pixilated versions of the file.

Those fills just don't seem to work as I thought they would, even when made transparent, because they overpower the contours, but there are others.

I guess I don't communicate as well as I think I do. Thanks for your patience.

With Monsen's help and repeated strikes to the frontal armor of the brain case with ego-piercing discarding sabot, I selected a forest bitmap file that pleased me and also gives something of the same look and feel of the Google Earth view of the battle area. Of course with the transparent effect, the forest looks more brown than green which could be remadied by changing them to green, which would lead to other issues.

On the other hand, in the game, the battle occurs in August, so maybe brown is okay.

I have not highlighted the contour lines with an edge color yet. That will probably be the last thing I do.

I am still simplifying the road and water nets and I amy thin out the small copses some and I need to continue to refine the mobility index dots in the hex centers.

Still, I'm pleased.
      1st Squadron AO (Opaque).JPG
      1st Squadron AO (transparent).JPG
      1st Squadron AO (Google Earth).JPG
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2020

So looking at the nice effect the Forest Fill gave me, I started wondering about a "field fill" to fill in the "blank spaces" between towns and such. as you can see from the comparisons above.

I searched for "field" in the symbols and all I got was a black and white rendering and a generic empty field.

How hard is this to do? Obviously, it would have to be done in a manner such that it was geomorphic so would have to be tiled. I know I'd have to do it in some drawing program (of which I know nothing). As a layer, it would probably be at the lowest land level and other things such as forests, towns, roads, streams, railroad, various industrial and perhaps wilderness areas, other than forests would have to be modeled as well.

Not looking for photo-realism, just for a way to make the thing more interesting.

I looked at American farm fields, which in general appear to be too large to use in a European setting. Germany is pretty built up. For lack of anywhere else to go I went near Nottingham, England and found larger expanses of ground to use as an example with less 'obstacles' in them. Normandy, France is of course famous for its bocage country and not suited to use in a German setting.

Queton did a most excellent job on one of his maps, but he put each one in by hand! I can be patient, but not so patient as to do it all over this map.

Another approach? I'm not likely to do it on this project. I've been working on it since 2014 and I want to finish by the end of the year. And there is lot to do other than mapping.

Thoughts?
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

I think fields would make it look too messy, but that is only my personal preference when there are so many other details that need to remain more visible than they will be if they are surrounded by detailed field systems.

Maybe ask the people who are going to end up using the map?

Excellent Point. Thanks.
    Mike,
    I also share your passion of Wargaming, beautiful maps!
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2020

Thank you very much.
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2020 edited

Things are progressing well. Of course, all this map making is so I have a vehicle to play the game on. I finally got everything thought out and written down enough to start (again) my solo playtesting. Well, I've been doing that for a long while. Most has been done in Excel to try and tune some of the various values and see if they meet my expectations.

The unit counters are finalized and so is much of the map. Here are some close ups of an attack by a Soviet Motorized Division against the 1st Squadron, 11th Armored Cavalry. The bad guys have two regiments in the first echelon, attacking with a total of 4 battalions plus two additional tank companies from the division's independent tank battalion. (most of this you can't see).

The opening set up is the first picture and the last shows the results at the end of the Soviet Player turn. It did not go real well (as expected) for the US. The Soviet's were able to insert the 2nd echelon battalions of the leading regiments as well as the Independent tank battalion, after the initial phase, the US lost two troops and the remaining two are heavily damaged. The Soviet Division Commander, luckily, was not able to insert his 2nd echelon regiments. On their turn, the US will try to move the artillery out of danger and use his last two troops to cover their withdrawal.

We didn't have the term at the time, but this whole covering force battle is likely to be a Kobayashi Maru sort of scenario, as the Regiment is not expected to win the battle, but to strip the 1st echelon regiments and make the enemy commit his tank division (if possible) while telling the Corps Commander where the main effort is so he can mass his units behind the 11th ACR to defeat it. Hopefully, some of the regiment gets out to fight another day.
      IMG_0156a.jpg
      IMG_0162a.jpg
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2020

Looks well done.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

That looks a bit complicated! Very professional looking maps, though :)

Thanks to both of you.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

You're welcome.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2020

Looks great. Lovely to see the map in actual use.
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2020 edited

Been very busy tuning various components of the system. Not so much map work. This is the start of my first real attempt to solo test the whole game for a couple of turns. Two view. One from the West looking across the Frontier of Freedom (generally marked by the yellow line) toward the communist masses. The other shot is from the East to West at the small band of brothers who will be trying to keep out the forthcoming liberation of the west. The odds are 4 divisions with a total of 21 regiments against the reinforced 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment of 8 battalions. So that's 63 battalions to 8 or a mere 7.87: 1.

This has been a long row to hoe and I am excited to get to this point. Soon, I hope to start to send off components to be fabricated, starting with the counter sheets.

Note my snacks in the corners: The M&Ms Combined Arms Mix (Yellow, Blue, Red); the colors of an armor division patch signifying the cooperation and power of armor, infantry, and artillery working together.

Out of the picture is the bourbon.

The game surface for my table is just under 5 feet on each side. A little bit of a stretch to get to the center.
      Covering Force West to East.jpg
      Covering Force East to West.jpg
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2020

Yum! If you were to use the snacks as markers, I'd play! :P

It looks brilliant, Mike :D

They might work as hit markers. But one might lose track of ones you using to mark and ones your are eating.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

LOL!

Don't you mean the ones *I* had already eaten before you got to them?
    Here's a copy of the final planning map for the game. It's about 17 inches wide x 20 inches tall. About 1/4 the size of the game map. This has been a long time coming. Publishing date for the game is uncertain. Still lots more to do.

I turned on the black outline defining the edges of the various contour lines to make them stand out. Without them, the map is too unfocused for me.
      CF SMALL PLANNING BATTLE MAP 20200806.jpg
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime2 days ago

Thumbs up !
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTime2 days ago

That's quite impressive. It looks a bit too detailed for that image, but seeing the table image from previous posts tells me that it won't look that packed when blown up in the scale it will be used.

The black text in the image in the top right is completely unreadable though. Add some white glow around it.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTime2 days ago

Excellent!

But I agree with Remy on that top box text.
    I was wondering about what to do about the Black text for the Blackhorse. I'll try a glow.