Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorShessar
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2020 edited

I've decided to try out the December 2019 annual #156 "Worlds of Wonder 2" for the first time and figured that an atlas map would be a great use for my experiments. This is just the beginning. I'm mostly working on adding interest to the coastline to start, but have a feeling that this is going to end up being one of my favorite map styles. I'm really loving the textures so far.
      Iron Mounds V1.JPG
    • CommentAuthorLorelei
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2020

I really love these textures, as well. Looking forward to seeing your progress
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2020

Great start there, Shessar :)

Are you going to be doing smaller regions within this one as well?
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2020

This looks great. I have done 1 map in it, but before part 2 came out. I am very very impressed.
    • CommentAuthorkevbeck43
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2020

I have this style. I have all the styles publicly available. I can't believe I haven't tried this yet. That looks awesome. Did you do anything special to make it look this smooth Shessar?
    • CommentAuthorShessar
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2020 edited

Thanks everyone and sorry for my slow response. Life's been busy. I just found out that I'm going to be a grandmother for the first time. There are no words to describe how excited I am. I'll be babysitting while the kids are at work so I'm cleaning out my son's old bedroom (our current junk/storage room) to make room for a nursery. :D

@Sue: I don't plan to do smaller regions myself. I don't picture this part of the continent being heavily populated except for the dwarven holdings, so I didn't see a need for breaking it down more.

@kevbeck: I didn't do much with it. The transparency effects that are set really make working with this a breeze. The mountain symbols seem to clash when first placed but they also have transparencies set and so end up blending right in. I've changed a few glows and am experimenting with a lighted bevel on the forest. Other than that, this is pretty straight forward.

Not much more to show, but I'll share what I've done so far.
      Iron Mounds v2.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorMedio
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2020

Congratulations Shessar!! :)
    • CommentAuthorMerion

Really nice map, congratulations!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2020 edited

Congratulations Gerri. That's fantastic news, and you are truly allowed to be extremely excited about that :)

You do know that you have an obligation to fill that nursery with various maps, right? Like the Carpet, wallpaper, Bed Linen, posters, Curtains and more......

Perhaps you should just start by printing out this map when it will be done and put it in a frame :)
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Congratulations grandma! :D

Speaking as 'great aunty sue', I know you will love it :)
    Congratulations, Shessar!
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Congrats Shessar. Grandparent hood is more fun and less trauma than parenthood. And Remy's advice/demads.orders/ultimatum is spot on. Fill that nursery with maps. Santaland, Home of the Tooth fairy, the Three bears home etc.
    • CommentAuthorShessar

Thank you so much for sharing my excitement everyone! I feel so giddy that you'd think I was the one having the kiddo. LOL

Remy, the links you've posted are GREAT! I'm eyeing up the Explorer kids wallpaper. If that doesn't make a child love maps I don't know what would. (There are also some of those bed linens that I'd love to have myself.)

Plus, I know he/she will be a gamer. It's in the bloodline. Whelp ProFantasy, here comes the next generation of customers. :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2020 edited

Posted By: ShessarRemy, the links you've posted are GREAT!
    Cool :)
    Just don't take them as my approval of any of the stores. I just did some googling, but I don't know anything at all about those places.

Plus, I know he/she will be a gamer. It's in the bloodline. Whelp ProFantasy, here comes the next generation of customers.
    Easy birthday presents for the first 30+ years then :)
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2020

Only the first 30?
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2020

Posted By: LoopysueOnly the first 30?

Yeah, I'm over 70 years old, but then I don't see any of you on my lawn. So thats okay.
    • CommentAuthorLorelei
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2020

Oh my!! Geri! Many Blessings to you and your family! How wonderful. Just think of all the years ahead you have teaching your grandchild all the wonders of gaming and better yet.....cartography :)
    • CommentAuthorShessar
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2020

The nursery is ready (even though the kiddo is not due till September) and I think this map is done.

Please, please let me know if you see anything that needs to be fixed or improved. The times are strange and I am quite distracted.
      Iron Mounds v3.JPG
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2020

Might be just me, but it looks as if the mountain just north of Stone Gate has become slightly transparent. I think it was the red "The Iron Mounds" label which drew my eye to it; it looks unusually clear compared to the paler red of the settlement symbols nearby (so they seem as if viewed through mist). Not saying this is a bad thing, though perhaps a tweak to the label might be worth considering?
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Looks great to me, but I do think Wyvern might be right about that mountain :)
    • CommentAuthorWyvern

Of course, it could be a Glass Mountain.
    • CommentAuthorShessar

Perfect! Thank you! I didn't see that until you pointed it out.

The symbols in this style are harsh in comparison to the fills so rely on transparency to soften them and blend them into the map. Playing around with transparency percentages and moving things around a bit I think has fixed this. I've also changed the color of the Iron Mound Hills because I had it too intense in comparison to the rest of the map.

Let me know if you see anything else that needs to be fixed. :)
      Iron Mounds v4.JPG
    • CommentAuthorMerion

Hills really fit the tone of the map better now, great job!
    • CommentAuthorShessar
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2020 edited

Thanks Merion!

I'm satisfied with this so am handing it off to Monsen.

Be well and stay safe everyone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2020

Shessar's Iron Mounds is now in the atlas. Thanks.

Iron Mounds