How to edit images inserted into map?

I've successfully inserted a straw pile image (which I found online) into my dungeon map, however I'd like to remove the background color in the image.

Is there a tool in CC3+ that allows users to edit images, for example by tracing around the portion of the image I'd like to keep?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    No. CC3+ isn't an image editor. You should edit your images and make the background transparent in an image editor before inserting them into CC3+.

The only tools in CC3+ that comes close is the contours/trace commands, but they just find the outlines and create a new entity from them, they don't manipulate the original image, and won't be any help for you in this case.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    In GIMP (for example) open the image, use the magic wand selection tool to select the background colour, then make sure the image has an alpha channel by right clicking the layer image in the right hand panel and picking Add Alpha Channel, then hit the Delete button on your keyboard. Then go to File->Overwrite... and save it on top of itself with the transparent background.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited March 2020
    Actually forgot one option which may be of use for you.

If you insert the image through Draw -> insert file, there is a bitmap options button in the file dialog. click it, and set the transparency to 'transparent upper left color'. This means that all pixels of the same color as the upper left one become transparent. This may actually work out fine for that image, but you need to test it to determine that, many images ends up with an ugly halo. Note that there are no further configuration or tweaking available for this option, and you can only make a single color transparent this way.

You can also change this for an image already in the drawing by using Numeric Edit image on it. (Note that this works on image entities, not symbol reference entities.)
  • Thanks guys! I fiddled around in Inkscape and was able to make the background transparent (File -> Document Properties... and then make sure the Background color is transparent).

Then File -> Export PNG Image... to export the image minus background to my CC3+ folder, from where I can Draw -> Insert File to drop the image into my dungeon map.