Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    So… after a false start in which I submitted a map with a bunch of altered/custom symbols for the atlas, I decided to remake the map using only atlas approved sources. This is my submission of Pola Faruto, a free city on the coast of Mercia. It's done almost completely in the Herman Weilink style, with some symbols from Mike Schley.

I hope this one works out better!
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2020

Wow! That was fast.

Quite different, but lovely in a different way :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Looks great. Is that the final .fcw, ready for the atlas, or should I just hold on a bit?
    Thanks Sue and Remy. This one is much… bolder. And darker. I can't decide now which one I like better.

If you wouldn't mind holding off a bit on putting it in the atlas, I'd appreciate it. I want to play with some transparencies and edge fades to see if I can make it just a little softer feeling.
    Fast because I just made a new map in the different style, copied each layer over one at a time and changed the fills and layers, the made some final adjustments. Honestly, it took longer to figure out which style I wanted to use than to actually do the work.

Do y'all have any suggestions for improvement? I know that's a very subjective thing. I tried putting in a compass rose but everything I tried ended up looking intrusive - no matter where I put it, which one I used or how I sized it, I just couldn't make it look right.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

I would put a Herwin Wielink compass in. or a very very simple vector onr. But personally, I do like to have a compass rose in an overland map. What about beside the title box?
    How about this? I did "soften" things up just a little by increasing the units on the edge fades. Thanks to Quenten for the suggestion about the compass rose - it got me thinking about how to make it fit, and I recalled that I'd seen them included in legend boxes before.

Any other suggestions are requested and welcomed!
      Pola Faruto PF2.PNG
    OK, Remy - I think this one is ready for the atlas, if you approve! The final file is attached.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2020

Thanks. I'll look at it when I get home from work.
    Which name do you want it to be credited under in the atlas?
    Should I include any kind of contact information with the map?
    Can you include both my user name and my RL name (Mike Patterson)? And is it usual for folks to include their email with submissions?
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Not always.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Varies. Some people have their email, other a reference to their forum user so people know where to find them, others a website (which should then contain some information regarding how to contact the artist). Some peole don't have contact information at all, but it is preferable so people have some way of contacting you if they have questions about the map (For example to request permission to use it in a publication)
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Contact information on a web page is essential if you want to have people asking you to do commissions.

It all depends on what you want.
    • CommentAuthorShessar

I really like this version of the map. The HW style is one of my favorites, especially the forest textures. Great map and one that I'm happy to see converted for the atlas.
    Thanks, Shessar :).

Monsen, if you'd include a reference to my user name here and my email (mike@clanpatterson.net) that would be great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

I noticed your map is extremely out of scale. Your scale bar which claims to be 3 miles, actually measure as 100. I've fixed this now, but please keep this in mind for future atlas maps. When users have access to the .fcw, they also expect the various measurement tools to work properly.
    Sorry about that! I was aware of it and meant to fix it before I submitted, but completely forgot. I'll make sure future maps are to scale.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Mike's map is now in the atlas. Thanks for the excellent contribution, and welcome to the atlas.

Pola Faruto
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Thank you, Mike :)
    Wow. I'm a published cartographer!? What an unexpectedly great feeling!
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2020 edited

A wonderful first (but hopefully not last) Atlas contribution. Thanks, Mike.

It somehow reminds me of Sydney Harbour (turned so E is down)
      map_sydney_harbour.jpg
    Thanks, Quenten!

Well... my secret's out. If you travel 18884 nautical miles NE from Sydney, you'll find San Francisco Bay. Turn that 90 degrees counter-clockwise and you get…
      SF Bay.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Obviously God designed San Francisco Bay first, then She used that prototype to design a Superior Model - called Harbour 2.0 Deluxe, and voila! Sydney Harbour
    Of course, the geography is completely different - the scale, the swamp to the west and the conversion of San Pablo Bay into an estuary. And everything else, pretty much, except for the coastline.
    Posted By: QuentenObviously God designed San Francisco Bay first, then She used that prototype to design a Superior Model - called Harbour 2.0 Deluxe, and voila! Sydney Harbour

Hah! You're probably right… Never having seen either place in person I'll have to withhold judgement.
    Posted By: QuentenA wonderful first (but hopefully not last) Atlas contribution. Thanks, Mike.

I'm already scouting a couple of other spots to map :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

That's great.