Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2020 edited

Yes, this is three projects now.

I'm gaming too much in an MMO. I need to make maps.

This started as Watabou and went to Ferraris; however, I am thinking about adding in Fantasy buildings. Maybe some other symbols as well.

I want Mighty Castle Symbols [tm] for this map.

Basically a preliminary map. After I got this far, I looked at my original maps of this city... this one is on the wrong coast of the bay. Ah, I can change it.

One map with effects, and one without.

Yes, I'll have to trim the white rectangle off of it later.
      sallor02_000033bb.png
      sallor02_000033ab.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2020

Interesting combination, Jim.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2020

The current farm fields are from Watabou. I just changed the colors. The walls were easy. I had some problems trimming the original roads and rivers; however, trim tends to either work for me or barely work for me. It did both of those this time.

Map pixels are 3000 x 2800.

For the castle, and probably some other buildings, I'll be using the fantasy buildings. 'Regular' buildings will be using the Ferraris symbols.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2020 edited

An updated map.

Simple red buildings, for the poor.

Fancier the building, the richer the inhabitants.

Tax collectors near the gates.

edit: It looks better at 2000 pixels.
      sallor02_000041b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2020 edited

More buildings. And some labels.

W = wizard.
    T = tax man

small red buildings to the left and up from Farmer's Gate are day laborours. Mostly farm hands, but some work in the city.

Merchant Homes, size of the building shows wealth.

G = Grabel's Inn and Stables.

This city also has other things like the Dwarf King's Home in Exile. And a pier/wharf/storage building area. So I might redo this and expand it.

I wonder if any of the characters have notice the path of trees betwen Traveler's gate and Adventurer's Gate that is pointing at the wall ?

Probably increase the scale show it measures 200 feet, not 100' like it does currently.

Map is still incomplete.
      sallor02_000052b.png
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2020

Don't know about noticing the lines of trees Jim (things like that aren't always so obvious on the ground after all, and PCs are notoriously blind to such things anyway), but maybe there should be some kind of not-so-secret trail so travellers and adventurers can enter the city by the Farmer's Gate, or one of the other gates on the western side, where there isn't a Lurking Taxman waiting to pounce on any who pass by...
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Just because it isn't marked, doesn't mean there isn't one... :-)

And that Wizard's building... maybe has a warning system for anyone not a farmer going by there.
    • CommentAuthorWyvern

;D
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2020

added a water front. Delete some buildings that look large but weren't. Added some roads. Moved some walls, etc.
      sallor02_000064b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2020

I think this will be it on this map, maybe add a cloud or two. I'll have to compare it to the previous Sallor city map and add text so the Inn , etc. are copied over.

Unless someone can point out I missed something. I may add some ships later.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Looking good, but I would add a weak edge fade effect on that brown dirt polygon on the lower left. Those sharp edges contrasts with the rest of the map.

It is quite an open city. Any reasons why the inhabitants haven't taken greater advantage of the protected areas behind the walls?
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2020 edited

Except for the bay, they are in the middle of the country. Lots of border castles and keeps to defend them. I'll fix that brown field.

Maybe they think the river protects them ?

Here is a basic map of the nation, Trillolara.
      trillolara01_034b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Here is the updated city map.
      sallor02_000066b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2020 edited

Updated to include road directions, the swamp, etc.

I'll also attach the previous map. The older map is a smaller city.

I'll put my usual scaling squares on the new map when I post it to my site.

( New keyboard soooonnnn ! )
      sallor02_000068b.png
      sallor01b.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Jim, I really like that you have stopped using arrows for your labels. Would you consider changing your older maps to reflect thes, perhaps even using text along a curve? I always find your maps so full of adventure.
    • CommentAuthormike robel

Nice work. Well done.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2020

Beautiful map, Jim :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Thanks ! And using my new keyboard... they were out of membrane keyboards I could afford, so I got a 'splash resistant' keyboard. Steel frame... a bit heavy, but its for gamers.

This is one of the maps I have fixed up. I am slowly, incredibly slowly, updating my Crestar maps as I have the spare time to change/update them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Posted By: JimPI am slowly, incredibly slowly
    Nothing slow about your mapmaking. But with all those maps, it will obviously take time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Jim, we didn't get to see the map you referred to above.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2020

The new map is the newer version of Sallor upthread.

I am slow in making maps. I play Everquest II instead of mapping. And I have only done a few of the hundreds I need to fix.

Looking at my Crestar site, you might noticed all I did to many of the dungeons is convert them from CC2 to CC3, and change some of the fills on floors and walls. Maybe updating the symbols.

Lots of maps to go.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2020 edited

I didn't want to start another thread for just two maps.

Here is Sraa Keep, old and new entrance/surface maps.

Yes, I used area fill with trees at the top, two forest areas separated by a path.

The black lines mark the start/end of various things in the design. Some damage, musical notes, etc. happen as the characters walk down the path. The 'rock shaped like a human head' was the first such item I put in my campaign, a Limited Wish.
      surfacesraa01b.png
      sraasurface01.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2020 edited

A 900 pixel version of Sallor I have uploaded to my site as 2000 pixels.

Sallor, Trillolara
      sallor01b2.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2020

Love the newer style, Jim.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2020

Gracias !

Very tired, candy, etc. so I'm off to sleep, perchance to dream.