Error on loading

A recent error has been appearing when I load / start CC3+.
First, the program does not load right away. Instead, I get an error message " Error: 000000005 loading XP module: War.dll" Then the program loads, and sometimes the last symbol set I was using is replaced with a different symbol set.
So far I can detect any issue with the error, but who knows?

Do I need to reload CC3+? Simply restart my machine? Or do I once again threaten the program and/or machine with my hammer?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    The error itself won't directly affect CC3+, other than the functionality from War.dll will be missing. This library mainly contains commands for use with military maps, those from the WWII Interactive atlas and the Military Operations annual issue (2011 annual).

Now, why this file would suddenly stop working is another matter entirely. Have you perhaps installed any of those products, which may contain an old version of the file? If so, try to re-run the latest update (24), it should replace the file with an up-to-date verison
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    For computers, I find that threatening it with a screwdriver is often as effective as threatening it with a hammer because you're threatening to change its personality rather than just its structure.
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited February 2020
    I typically glared at the ones I worked on at my last job, and inform it I know where the sledgehammer is stored.
  • edited February 2020
    "Computer, if you don't open that exit hatch this moment I shall zap straight off to your major data banks and reprogram you with a very large axe, got that?" Zaphod Beeblebrox to Eddie the Heart of Gold's computer, from Douglas Adams' The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, 1979.
  • Thank you to one and all,
    both practical and humurous.

But, if someone could tell me how to fix it, whether with a practical solution or a threat my computer will take seriously, I would be even more gratefull.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I think, from what Monsen was saying, he might be waiting on your report of whether a repair install of the latest CC3+ update (Update 24) resolves the issue.
  • Actually,
    The problem seems to have cleared itself up. In order to re-set the automatic number process, I save and then immediately re-open a map. Since doing that, no more error. Of course, I have not opened any other maps yet, so the tension mounts.