Making my own Watabou style

I have made my own template and drawtools, and collection of fills for future Watabou City maps. However, I cannot get the drawtools (Watabou City QW) to stay on the template, but instead it reverts to the normal watabou City drawtool. What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Did you create your own folder for the drawing tools? If you look in the Drawtools folder in the System folder you will see that all the styles and annuals have their own unique folder. You need to create your own new folder and copy at least one drawtool across to it from another folder, then pick the name of your new folder in the Drawing Properties dialog for the template. That way the template file will know where to look for its drawing tools.

Once you've set it up that way you can make all the new drawing tools in that folder. The initial drawing tool copied over can be deleted once you are done with it. Its only there to make things easier. For some reason CC3 doesn't really like being given a totally empty Drawtool sub-folder - as I discovered a couple of weeks ago when I tried it myself.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Check if it is set by the OnNewMacro/OnOpenMacro map notes.

The map/template will always remember the last drawtool set used, so the best way to always force it to be a spesific value on map load is to specify it in the OnOpenMacro map note. (DTSTYLEM command).
  • Yes, all that is done. What's more, I have found how to attach my drawing tools folder to the temp,ate, so all is well. I have added quite a few drawing tools - fences, crhellations, cliffs as per Endorren, different types of city block buildings, docks, fields with furrows drawn together and so on. After I have finished Dun Fingolfin, I will be using thi styel for all my big towns and cities in my own world.
    I will also be using the Watabou mansions as well, for various buildings I am too lazy to design myself.
  • If you included a metric scale template did you make sure to scale the line widths in the drawing tools and the sheet effects measured in map units too? See my recently added WARNING post.
  • Thanks Dalton. Yes I had noticed that, and in my style, imaginatively named Annual Watabou City (metric) QW, I have fixed all the drawing tools. In part, your warning helped, along with the horror of 10m roads.
    According to the Tripple Nine society (http://www.triplenine.org/Vidya/OtherArticles/ABriefHistoryofRoadBuilding.aspx) medieval roads:

"...varied in width from 8 to 35 feet, although the average width for the main roads was from 12 to 24 feet..."

So it would seem that 10m does actually fall within those limits, since 10m is nearly but not quite 33ft.

There are also other factors to be considered. In most modern road maps all the roads are shown many times wider than they really are on the ground. That is so they can be easily seen, since the primary point of the map is to show the roads. In the Ferraris style the roads are set to those kinds of widths because that is the way they are portrayed in the original Ferraris map, in which the roads were equally important for military planning. I've also seen many fantasy city maps where the roads are artificially wide so that legible road names can be shown.
  • I agree Sue, but I want the roads measured in metres, not feet or yards. And main roads to be 20m, esplanades with centre strips 30 m, and ordinary roads 3 m and 5 m. I have this set up in my drawing tools. I just cannot envisage distances in imperial anymore - perhaps because Australia has been fully metric for so long, and I worked in a scientific and medical field where everything has been metric since I was at uni, from 1969 onwards.

And I can't help spelling metres correctly, even though the spelling check always indicates the spelling is incorrect.

BTW, 10 metres = 32.808399. No idea why you didn't know that off the top of your head, Sue.
    I spell it correctly (English instead of American spelling) too.

Writing an entire Mapping Guide in American to match all the other mapping guides and the fact that FT3 menu commands are in American, made my brain fizz with a desire to run away. But I did it.