CA19: daylight flowing into caves and buildings

I have several battlemaps with inside and outside areas in the making. One is a cave system with openings in the roof, another a part of an oriental style palace with dark hallways and open courts. The characters will be on both places in broad daylight. Is there a way to define whole polygons as light sources? I`ve tried to solve the problem by defining quite a lot of light sources in the open areas but the result was less then satisfying.

Die Tempelruinen - Grabkomplex a

Die Tempelruinen - Grabkomplex b

Die Tempelruinen - Grabkomplex c

Comments

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    To the best of my knowledge there is no way to make a polygon into a light source.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    No, light sources are currently only available as single points. When I've tried to do something like that, I've always placed many light sources closely together in the area to be illuminated.
  • Posted By: jslaytonTo the best of my knowledge there is no way to make a polygon into a light source.
    Not yet? Or probably never?
    Posted By: RalfWhen I've tried to do something like that, I've always placed many light sources closely together in the area to be illuminated.
    Ok, that's what I tried, too. But I am not really satisfied with the result I have achieved so far (see above).
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    Posted By: Greebo
    Posted By: jslaytonTo the best of my knowledge there is no way to make a polygon into a light source.
    Not yet? Or probably never?
    Making extended light sources would require a different type of infrastructure and computation filter that likely would be much slower. What you want is soft shadows, which can be simulated with an array of lights spaced closely together. By "closely together" I mean a line of them spaced a foot or less apart. Managing this many lights would be difficult, however.
  • too bad CC3 cannot do an array of lights, like pov-ray can. Instead of a row, its a square or rectangular grid of light sources.
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    Posted By: JimPtoo bad CC3 cannot do an array of lights, like pov-ray can. Instead of a row, its a square or rectangular grid of light sources.
    This is not hard to do. Add a single light and do a Rectangular Array (right click the Copy icon). A command specfically designed to do this is quite possible, too. We can add it to the list.
  • Posted By: Simon Rogers
    This is not hard to do. Add a single light and do a Rectangular Array (right click the Copy icon).
    I'll try that the next time.
    Posted By: Simon Rogers
    A command specfically designed to do this is quite possible, too. We can add it to the list.
    That would be nice. A way to give the darkness in some or all areas some opacity would be even greater.
  • More symbols in DD3 style for fantasy, modern and sci-fi settings dealing with light and reflections (reflections on water or stone, glares, more light sources, mirrors reflecting incoming light..) would also be great.

Those things will probably end up way down the list. But hey, I am just wishing. :-)