Fast Question on Symbol Catalog

I am working on making the old Mappa Harnica CC3+ ready. In the old CC2 the symbols are only accessible from the symbol catalog. Is there a way to get them as a stand alone symbol and maintain the scale from the catalog? So far I have been unsuccessful in that the symbol always comes out larger than when I use it directly from the catalog

Comments

• When I decide on a village/town symbol set for a nation, I save them as a catalog so I can load them later on.

Symbols menu at the top of CC3+ -> Symbol manager, highlight all of the symbols you want in the catalog ( I click the top one, scroll down to the bottom of the list, hold down the shift key, and click the bottom symbol in the list), click on save as catalog. Then give it a name, then load it in later maps when you want to use it.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Roy, would those be bitmap symbols or vector symbols.

If they are vector symbols they are part of the symbol catalog and that's all there is to it.

I'm not clear on this scaling issue. I don't think my atypical brain is doing a very good job of interpreting what you mean.
  • I believe they were vector symbols from what I have read when Mappa Harnica was first released.

When I add one to a map and then copy it and paste it into photoshop it always pastes onto an 800x600 background and the actual image is about 600x600. All measurements are in pixels.

I am wanting to creat fills with the symbols in the catalogs. However, by copying and editing them in photoshop it throws the original scale all off.

Is it possible to edit and/or import PHGs into CC3+ scale it to the desired size save it to a temp catalog holding symbols of like scale and then combine several temp catalogs into a master one without affecting the scaling in the temp catalogs?

I couldn’t find an answer to this in the manual, but it wouldn’t be the first time I overlooked the obvious.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Scale for symbols are on a per symbol level, not a catalog level, so merging several catalogs won't mess with the scale of the symbols contained in them.
  • So, when added to a catalog at a reduced scale, does that mean all of the resolutions are saved in that scale also?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    No, the resolution of the files on disk are unchanged by scaling in CC3+. The actual resolutions of these are only determined by the resolution of the source image you used to create them in the first place.