Advice

Hello everyone,
This is an outline of my world map. I want a good idea of which overland style to use to create it. I want something that's color, but not TOO much to become distracting. It won't have to contain ciites or anything so 'zoomed in.' Just kingdoms, and the average terrain. I think I'm going to make scaled down, regional versions of the map on Parchment Maps and Worlds of Wonder (since they are the nearly the same thing, just parchment and color). '
I only work with CC3, not FT, just so you guys know.
This is rather picky, and that's why I'm coming to the best map-making community out their XD
Thanks,
Pyro

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Choosing your overland style is very much up to your personal preferences - how you want your map to look at the end of the process. Unfortunately no one else can tell you what your preferences really are. Only you can know.

Probably the best thing to do is just try one of the built-in CC3 styles, since it's not too difficult to convert from one style to another if you decide you don't really like the one you're using. Just a case of pasting what you've done into a new blank map created in the new style, and changing properties substituting symbols using the Symbol Manager.

In fact, there are several examples on this forum of people deliberately making the same map in a number of different styles, or swapping styles half way through.
  • The April offering of the 2009 annual (Volume 3) had a style that kind of fits what you are describing. It was called fantasy worlds. I have linked to it below.

https://www.profantasy.com/annual/2009/april09.html
  • thanks kevbeck, I'm gonna lookn into it some more - does anyone know by any chance if theirs a way to renew a voucher code? - it is linked to London time which technically meant that February 5th already ended, meaning I can't use it. Ralf, who gave me the code, is probably out for the night and I don't want to trouble him. I can whisper proof of this voucher to any admin who can help
    thx, and sorry for more stupid trouble
  • I must say I prefer to use solid fills and simple symbols to map an entire world, reserving prettier styles for regional maps. Here is my world - only solid colours, and some brush pattern fills. I really think your world is better suited for that treatment. BTW, my cities are just red dots.
    Here is the climate map, followed by the geological map, showing altitude, tectonics, currents and winds.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Posted By: thePyromaniakthanks kevbeck, I'm gonna lookn into it some more - does anyone know by any chance if theirs a way to renew a voucher code? - it is linked to London time which technically meant that February 5th already ended, meaning I can't use it. Ralf, who gave me the code, is probably out for the night and I don't want to trouble him. I can whisper proof of this voucher to any admin who can help
    thx, and sorry for more stupid trouble
    You could email Ralf using the General Manager contact email?
  • Thanks Loopysue - I got everything figured out.
    And Quenten… WOW that is one heck of a map - I will definitely stick to a more basic color and symbol scheme as you said - nice work man!
  • I think I might go with the 13th age style from the 2012 annuals: https://www.profantasy.com/annual/2012/september12.html
    What do you think, Quenten? Would that be too difficult for what I'm going for - it seems more regional, but it might work, right? Do you have any preferences? Thanks to all of you, by the way.
  • A great choice. I have seen work done with this, and it is great. Here is my unfinished map of the Land of Al'ayn in this style. A great choice.