Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorEnderrin
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2020

I'm really happy with the new Wetabou style. It closely matches a style I have used for hand drawn and Dunjinni city maps in the past. This map is based on a Wetabou import:
      Settlement - Tilnor.jpg
    • CommentAuthorEnderrin

Another Wetabou import. I was experimenting with the water fill and contours on this one.
      Settlement - Brandon.jpg
    • CommentAuthorEnderrin

This was a traced over the top of an old Dunjinni city map.
      Settlement - Dennovar.jpg
    • CommentAuthorEnderrin

And finally another one traced over the top of an old Dunjiini city map.
      Settlement - Ravarn.jpg
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Wow! It looks like you have already, and will continue to get, a lot of use out of this issue.

Lovely maps, Enderrin :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

These maps look great. Dennovar looks a bit weird, walls are a bit to straight and angular there, but otherwise these looks really nice.
    • CommentAuthorseycyrus

A bit out of the loop here, but I have a question on general interpretation of these wonderful maps. Are those brown blocks to be considered as big building, or city blocks? In Brandon and Tilnor, they could be individual buildings, but that's definitely not the case with Denovar and Ravarn, right? What do the original maps look like?
    • CommentAuthorEnderrin

<blockquote><cite>Posted By: seycyrus</cite>A bit out of the loop here, but I have a question on general interpretation of these wonderful maps. Are those brown blocks to be considered as big building, or city blocks? In Brandon and Tilnor, they could be individual buildings, but that's definitely not the case with Denovar and Ravarn, right? What do the original maps look like?</blockquote>

You are correct. Brandon and Tilnor (both from Wetabou exports are buildings. I started to draw individual buildings on the Ravarn map but that was taking too long. The original maps were blocks, with significant buildings drawn individually so I tried that for Ravarn and Dennovar. I’m still experimenting.. need to crack cliffs and sandy beaches next.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMedio
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2020

Simply gorgeous. Good job!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalf
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2020

I'm really happy, this Annual issue results in so many beautiful city maps. :D Thanks for sharing!
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2020

We're all really happy about it too. Thank you so much for creating it, Ralf :)
    • CommentAuthorEnderrin
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2020

I think I'm happy with this for cliffs and beaches.
      Settlement - Dragonsrock.jpg
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Looks great, Enderrin :)

How did you do the cliffs?
    • CommentAuthorShessar

Wonderful!

Like Sue, I'm curious how you did the cliffs. Surely you didn't draw all of those little lines by hand...did you??! And the shading on the cliffs?
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

I love those cliffs - just tell us how to do them, and I will use it as my standard for city cliffs. And it goes so well with the Watabou style.
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2020

Can't speak for Enderrin naturally, but the cliff-lines look like they're fully hand-drawn, just as they're done for mountains in the Fantasy Realms style from CA26.
    • CommentAuthorEnderrin
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2020

I’m replying from my phone. I will try and put together a visual guide later on.

I created a polygon tool and sheer to draw in the cliffs.
    Then created a line tool and sheet to manually draw in the vertical cliff lines (trust me I spent hours trying to find another way.
    Then I created another polygon tool and sheet to create small triangles at the base of the cliff between the lines.
    Then I applied some effects to each of the sheets to blur the triangles to look like shading.

It takes a while if you have a large area but looks pretty good.
    • CommentAuthorEnderrin
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2020

Is there a way to attach multiple images to a post? I have a series of screen snips showing the process.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Yes, just post with one image first, then edit the post to add a second, and so on.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2020 edited

Yes there is.

You write your comment and add the first image. Then you edit it and add the second image. Then edit it again and add the third image, and so on.

You don't have to do this if you don't want to, but you can position the images within the text using this:

[Image_00000]

Where the zeros represent the number of the image the server has given it. You will find that just above the attachments box when you edit the comment. Its a bit awkward because you have to edit the comment to find out what the number is to be able to use [Image_000000]

Make sure you have the Html radio button selected at the bottom of the comment box if you do it this way.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Heheheee!

Remy beat me to it this time ;)
    • CommentAuthorEnderrin
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2020 edited

Ok here goes..

I use some of the fills from the Mike Schley Cities SS5 packs so you will need that installed or similar light rock coloured fill.

Create new Sheet (under WATER/RIVERS) called CLIFFFACE
    Create an effect for Cliffface / Inner Glow / R0 G0 B0 Brightness 75% Blur Size 5 units Map Units
    Create new Sheet (under CLIFFFACE) called CLIFFLINES
    Create an effect for Clifflines / Blur / Blur Radius 1 units Map Units
    Create new Sheet (under CLIFFLINES) called CLIFFSHADING
    Create and effect for Cliffshading / Blur / Blur Radius 20 units Map Units

Create the Terrain Stone Default Fill: Tools / Set Properties / Fill Style / Bitmap Files / Terrain Stone Default

02 Terrain Stone Default Fill.png

Then create the four drawing tools: Draw / Custom Drawing Tools / Advanced / New
      03 Cliff Edge drawing tool.png
      04 Cliff Face Default drawing tool.png
      05 Cliff Lines drawing tool.png
      06 Cliff Shading drawing tool.png
    • CommentAuthorEnderrin
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2020 edited

.... Now you can start drawing the cliffs with the drawing tools you created. The following steps correspond to the images below.

1. Create your map, import the Wetabou import and follow the guide with the annual. I use a sand coloured background fill for my coastal maps.
    21 Draw coastlines.PNG

2. Draw Cliff Face polygon along the coast.
    22 Draw cliff face polygon along the coast.PNG

3. Draw the Cliff Edge along the top of the cliff.
    23 Draw cliff edge.PNG

4. Draw the vertical Cliff Lines. Don't be to worried about being precise and leave plenty of gaps.
    24 Draw vertical cliff lines.PNG

5. Draw triangles at the base of the cliff between the cliff lines using the Cliff Shading drawing tool.
    25 Draw shading triangles.PNG

6. Enable effects.
    26 Enable Effects.PNG

7. Optional if you started with a sandy coloured background fill. Set your Sheet to BACKGROUND (CITY) and add the inland terrain type, Grass in the example below.
    [IMage_13819]
      27 Add inland grass background.PNG
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2020

Oh very nice!

Thank you very much for sharing :D
    • CommentAuthorEnderrin

I hope that all makes sense. You should end up with something like this..
      Settlement - Northport.JPG
    • CommentAuthorShessar

Wonderful! Thanks so much for the explanation. This is a great technique and one that I'm sure that I'll use in the future.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Very nice indeed. And I'm sorry I interrupted your flow there.

Yes - easy to understand too :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Thank you so much. I will be using this almost immediately
    • CommentAuthorEnderrin
    • CommentTime7 days ago edited

Finishing off the map..

City Walls
    30 City Walls.JPG

City Blocks
    31 City Blocks.JPG

Docks & Contours
    32 Docs and Contours.JPG

Forest, Buildings, Paths
    33 Forest Buildings Paths.JPG

Fields, Labels, Compass
    34 Fields Text Compass.JPG

Then a few finishing touches - a few more farms and more elevation contours
    Settlement - Northport2.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTime7 days ago

Looking really good
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTime7 days ago

Another nice one!

Lovely to see you having so much fun with this, Enderrin :)
    • CommentAuthorEnderrin
    • CommentTime1 day ago

Experimenting with contour lines ..
      Settlement - Allburg.JPG
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTime22 hours ago

Oh I really like this one. I think it's my favourite so far. There's just something about it that says it could easily be a map of a real place. Not sure what, but it works.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime21 hours ago

Wow !
    I like those forest fills. They might work better on my maps to indicate open, light, medium, heavy, and dense woods...