Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthormike robel
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2020 edited

At this point, the map is at a stopping point while I move on to other projects. As one can see by the title, it is the area in which the Battle of the Little Bighorn (aka Custer's Last Stand) was fought. I need to tune the road network, consider if I want to place buildings and other objects on the map, and add place names. I really like the way the shaded contour areas define the terrain and combined with the water courses and the vegetated areas, highlight the ridgelines and draws.

The map will be for a science fiction game based on Hammer's Slammers stories by David Drake (with his permission).

My quandary at this point is the vegetated area. As the map is drawn right now, those areas are solid. The drawback is they block the contours of the map, as can be clear seen in the lower right corner of the top image. The alternative is to fool with the transparency, and the second image shows that. I think it makes the map look like it has small pox or something and the vegetation since it is fairly light, seems to blend in with the terrain. The last image shows a close up of the lower right with transparent terrain.

Alternatives:

1. Just leave it solid and be done with it.
    2. Fiddle with the transparency and accept how it looks.
    3. Split the vegetation layer into two layers with one area covering top or left side and the other area covering the bottom or right side and have the transparency different. I think this would give the map a very odd look.
    4. Go through and convert all the vegetation to Polygons with no fill, leaving only the border, then fill the polygon with symbols, and then convert all the polygon boundaries to no line. This would probably give the best artistic look, but would be tedious. It also would potentially put non-topographic symbols on the map (if I use top down tree symbols) or look kind of weird if I used the available topographic symbols for various types of vegetations, mostly deciduous trees.
    5. Convert the contour polygons so they are hollow and then place them over the vegetation symbols. This has the draw back of making it more difficult for some people to visualize the terrain. Many game players don't really know how to read contour lines. (I find it interesting for instance, that Google Maps/Earth don't have them.)

At this point, I am sort of leaning toward option 4. It requires Brute Force and Ignorance to get through, I think, but some say that is what I excel at to get through notty problems. It will take a lot of fiddling to get the fill to look right and at some points, for very small regions, I may just manually plop the symbols down.

I'd appreciate comments and other potential solutions.
      LBH_Not_Transparent_20200126.jpg
      LBH_Transparent_20200126.jpg
      LBH Lower Right.JPG
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2020

That's a really pretty map, Mike! :)

How long did it take you to do all those contours and rivers?

Thanks Sue!

The contours took about 20-24 hours I figure. The Rivers probably about 6. Roads about 3. I've been working on the map for about 4 months. (I do have other things to do, like playing wargames (12 - 16 hours/week), home duties, game design, sleeping, etc. hahahahaha.)

I think the longest contour line (in terms of relative length) took me 3 or 4 hours to do, because the program kept crashing or I made some other error that caused me to restart. I think some of them were 2 or 3 meters long if you measured them out.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Thanks for the info.

I guess the crashing might have been down to the sheer number of nodes, but the results prove that perseverance works :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Good map.

I printed and assembled the maps and you can see them below with some counters on them for effect. The game is a long way from being published. There are 2 or 3 more things in the queue before I get to this one. The table is 5 feet square. The boards are the anti-cat and wife protection for another game underneath.

The third photo shows a close up of the high contours with the transparent vegetation. I think it might be okay like that when printed out.

The fourth and fifth are just other views of the battlefield.
      IMG_0053.jpg
      IMG_0054.jpg
      IMG_0055.jpg

The last two photos.

Incidently, this is the first look at the game product anywhere.
      IMG_0056.jpg
      IMG_0057.jpg
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Oh wow!

Those colours have turned out really beautiful in the printed version. Good call you your part :)

The cool thing is, when I get the stuff back from the printer, it usually looks much better than off my own printer! So I am going to leave it.

Thanks Jim. Appreciate it.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

The printed colours are quite a lot more red than on the CC3 view maps you showed earlier. I think that's why I like them more. Let's hope they come back from the printers with a similar 'red shift'